2 Cops, Civilian Killed; DSP Escapes Unhurt In Pampore Attack

13 August 2014
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: In an audacious attack, second on the National Highway in Pampora area of South Kashmir's Pulwama district in last 40 hours, two police men and a civilian were killed while a police officer escaped unhurt this evening. The Deputy Inspector General of Police, South Kashmir, Vijay Kumar told Excelsior that a police team escorting Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) of IRP 11 Battalion, Abdul Hameed of Keegam Shopian, was on his way to Anantnag when militants attacked them at Galendar area of Pampore this evening. Two security guards of the officer and a civilian were seriously injured in the attack and later succumbed to injuries. However, DSP escaped unhurt in the attack. The slain have been identified as Manzoor Ahmed Kasba son of Ali Mohammad of Awantipora and Head Constable Mohammad Yaqoob son of Abdul Ahad of Chogam Kulgam and Mehraj-ud-Din son of Naseer Ahmad of Ganawayan Zainpora, Shopian. Sources said that militants decamped with a carbine rifle from the spot. They said that the vehicle of the Police party had developed a snag and they were repairing it when militants attacked them. Sources said that the police team led by DSP Abdul Hameed was deputed to Kargil on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit and was returning to its battalion headquarter in Anantnag, South Kashmir. Army, CRPF and SOG have launched massive cordoned and search operation in the area to nab the culprits. The DIG said that the attack was carried out by Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit. He said that it is the same group that carried out attack on BSF on Monday night. And the Special Operations Group of Jammu and Kashmir Police, Pattan, 29 Rashtriya Rifles of Army and 176 Battalion of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) recovered arms and ammunition at Palhallan, Pattan in district Baramulla today. The arms and ammunition was recovered during a search operation and it includes two AK-47 rifles, two AK-magazines, one pistol, one pistol magazine, pistol rounds, two UBGL grenades and one pouch. In the meantime, Director General of Border Security Force (BSF), D K Pathak, today took stock of the security situation after their convoy was attacked at Pampore Monday night. Pathak arrived yesterday afternoon by BSF aircraft to take stock of the situation following attack on BSF convoy in which 8 BSF personnel including their assistant commandant were injured. He also discussed the current situation on borders with P S Sandhu, BSF Inspector General for Kashmir. The DG also visited Army's 92 Base Hospital at BB Cantt to inquire about the well being of the injured personnel.