3 Cops Killed, SOG Officer Injured In Serial Attacks

6 April 2015
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Three policemen were killed and two others including a police officer were injured in a serial militant attack across Kashmir today. Inspector General of Police Kashmir, SJM Gillani told reporters in Shopian that these policemen were returning from a village in a private vehicle when militants fired at them killing them on the spot. 'They had gone to the village to investigate a matter. They were coming back in a civil vehicle. Some people stopped this vehicle and the three policemen who were travelling in it were asked to come out and were fired at. All the three were martyred on the spot. We are investigating it and presently we don't know to which organization they belonged to,' said Gillani. Gillani said that militants are not able to attack high profile targets so they are choosing soft targets to remain in news. 'They want to remain in news and they are not able to attack any high profile target so they chose the soft target. They took on the soft target to show their presence', he added. The incident took place at around 1.00 pm at Amshipora area of Shopian when three policemen were travelling in a private car and were asked to come out of the car by gunmen who then sprayed bullets on them. The three cops died on the spot. They have been identified as Mushtaq Ahmad Wani (48-S) of Arigam, Pulwama, Nissar Wani (425-S) of Hadipora Rahmoo, Baramulla and Sheikh Shabir Hussain (838-S) of Leh. The trio, had gone to a village to investigate a crime incident when the militants attacked them. Police, Army and CRPF immediately cordoned off the village and its adjacent areas to nab the militants responsible for the killing of three cops. Earlier, militants shot at and injured a police Sub-Inspector, Ghulam Mustafa, near Mirgund area of Pattan today. The officer was travelling in a bus when he was shot at and injured. Reports said that the police officer had boarded the bus at Batamaloo in Srinagar and two militants who were speaking Urdu boarded the bus at Parimpora. The police officer was on way to his battalion at Parihaspora in Pattan in district Baramulla. Militants shot at the police officer in Mirgund area and asked the driver not to stop anywhere. However, on reaching Chour area of Putkha near Sopore, militants disembarked from the vehicle and fled. The officer was removed to nearby hospital wherefrom he was shifted to SKIMS Srinagar. Soon after the attack, police and army rushed to the area and launched massive hunt to nab the militants. Mustafa, a resident of Poonch, was inducted as a member of the Anti-Fidayeen Squad last year. Shortly after second attack in Shopian, militants shot at and injured a former militant Rafiq Ahmad Bhat, son of Ghulam Mohiuddin in Tral town in district Pulwama. He was removed to hospital for treatment to his grievous injuries. Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed has expressed grief over the killing of three policemen in a militant attack in Shopian district today. In his condolence message, the Chief Minister conveyed sympathies to the bereaved families and prayed for peace to the departed souls.