Another Geelani's Man Shot Dead In Sopore

12 June 2015
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Unidentified gunmen tonight killed Hurriyat (G) activist in Sopore area of North Kashmir's Baramulla district. A police official said that at around 9 pm militants fired at the activist of Hurriyat Conference (G), Khursheed Ahmad Bhat son of Ghulam Nabi Bhat of Bomai outside his residence. Bhat was grievously wounded and was immediately rushed to sub-district hospital Sopore. However, the doctors at the hospital declared him brought dead. Bhat was recently detained for some time for his alleged role in stone pelting incidents. He was running a shop in the locality and was president of Traders Federation Bomai. Army, Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) reached the spot and took stock of the situation. They also launched searches for the gunmen responsible for the killing. This is the second killing of Hurriyat Conference (G) activist in the past few days. A Pharmacist and the activist of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Altaf Rehman Sheikh son of Mohammad Yousf Sheikh, was shot dead by unknown gunmen in New Colony area of Sopore on Tuesday. The killings took place in the backdrop of recent war of words through statements between chairman of Hurriyat Conference, Syed Ali Shah Geelani and the LashKar-e-Islami (LeI). Geelani termed LeI as Indian agents while they also targeted the senior separatist leader for his remarks. Earlier in the day, clashes and protests erupted in parts of Kashmir against the killing Shiekh. The call for protests was given by Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani. Hundreds of people took out a protest rally from Jamia Masjid Sopore. The protesters tried to march ahead but were intercepted by police. Protesters threw stones at Police leading to clashes which continued for several hours. Police charged batons and fired teargas shells to disperse the protesters. In Baramulla town protesters also clashed with police this afternoon. Clashes also broke out at Palhallan in North Kashmir's Baramulla district. Scores of youth pelted stones at police. Police lobbed scores of teargas shells at stone-throwing youth. However, the youth offered stiff resistance and continued stone-pelting for several hours. Hurriyat leaders held a sit-in protest in City's Pratap Park against the killing of their colleague. They were later detained by police.