Shut Down Paralyses Life In Srinagar

27 June 2015
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Around dozen protesters were injured in clashes that broke out in parts of Srinagar amid shut down called by separatist against what they allege desecration of Jamia Masjid during protests after Friday prayers. Shops and business establishments remained closed in the Old City and Civil Lines areas in response to a strike call. The educational institutes and petrol pumps were also shut while the Government offices and banks recorded thin attendance. The public transport was off the roads but private vehicles were seen plying. The affect of shutdown was complete in old city area where protesters clashed with police at several places. Police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) was deployed in full strength in sensitive areas of Srinagar city to prevent any protests. Scores of youth took to streets at Gojwara and Nowhatta protested against use of force by police yesterday. The protesters burnt tyres at Gojwara Chowk and blocked main road for the vehicular movement. The protesters later clashed with Police and CRPF near Islamia School at Rajouri Kadal and in Saraf Kadal. The clashes continued for several hours with police using teargas shells and pellets against stone throwing protesters. The protesters also waved a flag of Islamic State (ISIS). Reports in the evening said that Police fired in air to disperse the protesters. The clashes also broke out at Habba Kadal and Maisuma localities of the city here. At Habba Kadal, groups of youth pelted stones on local CRPF camp leading to clashes. Intermittent clashes continued in Maisuma throughout the day during which a police man identified as Bansi Lal was injured. A youth was injured after police fired pellet guns on protesters, at Nowhatta. He was identified as Sahil Ahmad son of Zahoor Ahmad of Nowhatta. He received pellets all over his body and was shifted to SMHS. At least 10 youth were injured in the police action across the city. The clashes were going on till evening at various places. The management of Jamia Masjid and other separatist leaders had accused police of firing teargas shells inside the Jamia Masjid and beating worshippers on Friday afternoon. The call for shutdown was given by Anjuman-e-Auqaf Jamia, which manages the affairs of the Masjid. It was endorsed by almost all pro-freedom leaders including chairmen of both the Hurriyat factions and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Fronat. The shutdown was also endorsed by trade and transport bodies as well.