One Killed, 5 Injured In Grenade Attack At Anantnag Militants Give Slip To Troops In Shopian

25 July 2015
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: A day after series of attacks on Telecoms in Srinagar, militants today hurled a grenade at a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) party in South Kashmir's Anantnag town killing one person and injuring 5 others including a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan. Police said that the militants hurled a grenade in Achabal Bus stand outside 164 Battalion of CRPF at around 2 PM, causing splinter injuries to a CRPF jawan and five pedestrians. One of the injured civilians identified as Mohammad Jabbar Wagay, 50, son of Mohammad Sultan of Brenti Batapora, Anantnag succumbed to injuries while being taken to Srinagar for treatment. The target of the grenade attack was apparently a patrol party of security forces but the device missed the intended target and exploded on the roadside. The whole area has been cordoned off and a hunt has been launched to nab the militants, the officer said. He said the injured were taken to hospital. They have been identified as Mukhtar Ahmad Zargar son of Abdul Rehman resident of Shakhsaz Mohalla, Kadipora, Sheeraza Akhter wife of Abdul Rashid Dar resident of Hernag, Anantnag, Vijay Kumar son of Lachoo Kumar of Punjab and a CRPF jawan Huma Sarwar son of Buland Sarwar. The grenade attack comes a day after militants carried out a series of attacks in Srinagar city against Telecoms by hurling grenades at their showrooms and attempting to blow up cell phone towers, injuring two persons and creating fear psychosis among people associated with telecoms. In the meantime, Srinagar was on high alert after yesterday's serial attacks on Telecoms. Police and CRPF was checking vehicles and frisking people at various places across Srinagar city. However, no one was arrested. In South Kashmir's Shopian district a group of militants believed to be Hizbul Mujahideen commander, Burhan Ahmad Wani of Tral and his associates today gave slip to the security forces after a brief encounter in Doubjan forests area along Mughal road. Army's 44 RR and SOG laid a cordon-and-search operation near forest area at Bren Nad adjacent to Dubjan village following the inputs about the presence of some suspicious movement. The troops opened few warning shots and 4-5 militants hiding in the forest area fired at the troops. The troops retaliated and there was a brief gun battle. But militants managed to escape from the spot taking advantage of bushes and thick forest cover. One militant is believed to be injured in the gun battle. Army's elite Para was also brought in and searches of the forests were carried out. However, militants had managed to escape.