Another Pakistani Militant Captured Alive After Encounter In Kashmir, 4 Attackers Killed

27 August 2015

Srinagar: In a major success, army on Thursday captured a Pakistani terrorist after killing his four associates in a two-day operation in Kashmir, about weeks after Naved from Pakistan was caught alive in Udhampur. The arrested terrorist, identified as 22-year-old Sajjad Ahmed from Muzaffargarh in south west Pakistan, was literally smoked out from a cave in the heights of Rafiabad area in Baramulla, about 100 kms from here. 'The preliminary interrogation reveals that the captured terrorist is a 22-year-old LeT operative and belongs to Pakistan. The captured terrorist is now being taken for joint interrogation,' an Army spokesman said. Representational image. PTI Representational image. PTI Sajjad, part of a five-member group of infiltrating terrorists, was nabbed after an operation which began on Wednesday near the Line of Control (LoC). One terrorist was killed in the encounter on Wednesday while three were killed on Thursday. One soldier was also injured o. Five AK rifles, two grenade launchers, a map, two GPS and broken smart phones were recovered from them, officials said. The capture of the Pakistani terrorist comes about three weeks after Naved, a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist from Pakistan, was nabbed after he and his associate attacked a BSF convoy in Chenani area of Udhampur district on 5 August. His associate was killed in the encounter with BSF personnel. 'This alive terrorist is an evidence for us. There is no doubt about Pakistan's involvement here, but this captured alive terrorist will help us keep our stand at the international level and this will also act as a lead in further buildup of the case.' 'So now we cannot ignore the involvement of Pakistan in such kind of activities. Now even a common man knows about Pakistan's role. So this is an achievement for us and we will use it wisely,' Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju told reporters in Delhi. Giving details of the latest incident, army officials said that on the intervening night of 23 and 24 August, a technical intelligence was received about a group of militants having entered from 'Qafirkhan' heights and moving towards Kazinag slopes above the Uri and Rafiabad areas. The first contact with militants was established in the wee hours of Wednesday when a team led by an Army Major killed one of the infiltrating terrorists, officials said. 'In a slow and systematic operation owing to the difficult terrain and thick foliage, the forces re-established contact with the balance of the terrorists who had taken shelter inside a natural cave in the afternoon of August 26,' the Army said. The firing continued till late afternoon after which their was a complete blackout from the other side, they said. More troops were rushed to the spot and Special Forces were airdropped for searching the terrorists, the official said. A team found a natural cave and on being checked, there was firing by terrorists hiding inside, the officials said. Troops retaliated strongly to the firing. Finally, they fired teargas shells and 'chilly grenades' into the cave to choke them and force them out. 'Chilly grenade' is a non-toxic weapon, officials said. After the silence of fire from inside, troops barged into the cave and saw three terrorists, belonging to Lashker-e-Taiba dead, while Sajjad was hiding and weeping, begging the forces not to kill him, the officials said. He was brought out and given food and immediate medical attention as his feet had swollen due to long trek from PoK to enter Kashmir, the officials said. He was later taken to Srinagar for questioning. After crossing over from PoK in a place over 100 kms north of Srinagar, the five Lashkar-e-Taiba militants made several attempts to breach the tight cordon placed along the LoC, army officials said. The realignment of security layers along the LoC was the brainchild of outgoing Corps Commander of 15 Corps Lt Gen Subrata Saha, who moved on to Army Headquarters for a new assignment. The Army spokesman said the the efficacy of a robust counter infiltration grid has manifested in successful elimination of four terrorists and capture of one terrorist over a four days' joint operation by the Army.