Kashmir Shuts To Mark October 27

27 October 2015
Greater Kashmir
Abid Bashir

Srinagar: Kashmir observed a complete shutdown on Tuesday against the landing of army in Jammu and Kashmir on this day in 1947. The call for shutdown was given by separatist leaders who had urged the people to observe October 27 as 'black day.' All commercial establishments, schools, colleges, and private institutions across Kashmir remained closed while attendance of employees in government offices was reported to be very thin. Traffic was largely off the roads. CLASHES IN SRINAGAR According to reports, there were clashes between youth and forces in many places in old Srinagar and also in uptown areas of the city. Forces resorted to aerial firing in Nowgam area of Srinagar to disperse protestors while police fired pellets on protesting youth in several old city areas, reports and witnesses said. Reports of clashes between youth and forces came in from Habba Kadal, Fateh Kadal, Rajouri Kadal and Malarata areas of old Srinagar and from Nowgam and Mominabad Batamaloo. At Lal Chowk, activists of Democratic Freedom Party staged a protest rally and held banners which read: 'Observe October 27 as Black Day.' The protest was led by senior DFP leader Muhammad Abdullah Tari. Police instantly swung into action and bundled many protestors into vehicles and lodged them in police station Kothibagh. SEPARATISTS THANK PEOPLE Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Muhammad Yasin Malik, while thanking people of Kashmir for 'observing exemplary shutdown', said: 'On this day, the Indian forces illegally occupied J&K. History is witness how people of Kashmir have remained steadfast to see the dawn of freedom. JKLF will continue to fight for independent Kashmir.' Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said even after 68 years, people continue to remain steadfast to their mission of ensuring resolution of Kashmir issue as per their aspirations. 'We want to convey to New Delhi that military might is no solution to Kashmir. There is a need for a sustained political exercise for which steps like demilitarization need to be taken,' he said. 'Today's strike reflects the people's resolve and conviction towards the freedom movement. Let New Delhi start a political process by rolling back AFSPA and other black laws. Military might has failed to muzzle genuine struggles in the world.' National Front chairman Nayeem Ahmad Khan, while thanking people for observing complete shutdown on Tuesday, said: 'Today's shutdown should be taken as a referendum because it was against the presence of Indian army in Jammu and Kashmir.' In a statement here, Hurriyat Conference (G) spokesman Ayaz Akbar also said the complete shutdown observed in Kashmir 'should be treated as a referendum that people are against the illegal occupation of Kashmir.' 'Today's successful strike is a message to the entire world that people of J&K won't accept the forced occupation and that freedom struggle will continue,' Akbar said. SEPARATISTS UNDER HOUSE ARREST Meanwhile, Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani continues to remain under house arrest while Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq also continues to be under house detention for the sixth consecutive day Tuesday. JKLF chief Muhammad Yasin Malik has been placed under house arrest after being treated at SKIMS Soura. Senior separatist leaders that include Shabir Ahmed Shah, Nayeem Ahmed Khan, Ghulam Nabi Sumji, Javaid Ahmed Mir, Shakeel Bakshi, Ayaz Akbar, Raja Mehrajudin and many others are also under house detention, reports said. YOUTH INJURED IN PULWAMA A youth was critically injured in clashes which erupted this evening in south Kashmir's Pulwama town, witnesses said. As the forces personnel were being withdrawn from deployment, youth pelted stones on them. In retaliation, the forces lobbed tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters, triggering panic in the town, witnesses said. A youth namely Iqra Ahmad of Babhara Pulwama was injured in the police action, they said. He was rushed to Pulwama hospital wherefrom he was shifted to SMHS hospital Srinagar in a critical condition, the witnesses said. CLASHES IN PALHALAN Clashes rocked Palhalan area of north Kashmir's Baramulla district this morning. Groups of youth took to streets and clashed with forces amid complete shutdown in the area, witnesses said. The forces resorted to teargas shelling to disperse the protesters, but the clashes continued. Local residents alleged that the forces broke windowpanes of a local masjid, leading to more protests. (Additional reporting by Showkat Dar-Altaf Baba)