Two Soldiers Killed In LoC Firing At Gurez

2 November 2015
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Two Army men were killed on the Line of Control (LoC) in Gurez sector of North Kashmir's Bandipora district when their patrol party was fired at from across the LoC in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK). A Srinagar based Defence spokesman said here: 'In a major ceasefire violation today, Pakistan resorted to unprovoked firing in Gurez sector along the LoC in J&K. Two soldiers have been killed in the firing. A befitting retaliation was carried out by the Army.' Sources said that two Army men of 160 Territorial Army, who were attached with 36 RR, were killed when their patrol party was fired at around 12:10 p m at Tarbal forward post in Gurez sector today. Two soldiers of 160 TA infantry battalion Rifleman Tariq Ahmad Lone son of Ghulam Hussain, resident of Bakhtoor Gurez and Rifleman Waseem Ahmad Lone son of Ghulam Ahmad Lone, resident of Mantra in Bandipora died on the spot due to firing. Army also fired back using small arms. The troops manning the fence along with the additional reinforcement of Army's 3 SIKH, 13 SIKH have launched the searches in the area as it suspects that militants might have sneaked into this side, taking advantage of the firing. Sources said that Army suspects that a group of militants waiting for infiltration near the LoC in PoK fired at the Army. They said that army has foiled their attempt to infiltrate from the Gurez sector. 'They are frustrated over the continuous border patrols and vigil along the LoC, so they fired at the troops', they said. Army recently said that there are over 300 militants waiting for the infiltration across the LoC in PoK but strong counter-infiltration grid has foiled their attempts of infiltration. Army and police have exerted immense pressure on militants and killed 55 of them in North Kashmir this year including those on the LoC while infiltrating. Meanwhile, a security force operation in North Kashmir's Bandipora forests that was started last week against a group of LeT militants is going on. The operation was started on September 27, after Army received information about presence of a militant group in Serinder Kudara forest area of Bandipora. The Army had a brief gun battle with militants, however, they managed to escape. On September 28, one Army jawan was killed when militants fired at a search party. The search operation is going on since then. In the meantime, an Army man was injured in Tanghdar sector of the LoC in North Kashmir's Kupwara district today when he stepped upon a landmine that had got drifted due to slides. He was removed to hospital where his condition is said to be out of danger.