Two LeT Militants, Army Jawan Killed

4 December 2015
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Two militants of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) and a soldier were killed and another jawan was injured in a fierce gun battle in Rajwar forests of North Kashmir's Kupwara district today. Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police North Kashmir, Gareeb Dass, told Excelsior that a joint team of Army and Police launched an operation in Bhawen forest area for last four days following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of militants in the area. 'For last few days we were getting reports of militant movement in the forests. We had laid searches and today we noticed the movement and they were challenged by the troops. The gun battle started at 9 a.m. and we killed two militants of LeT. We had information that 4 militants are in the forest area which is a vast and there may be more. We have cleared some of the area and recovered two dead bodies. We lost one jawan in the operation and another one was injured', said Dass. Sources said that the operation was launched by Army's 21 RR, 32 RR, 30 RR and 9 Para and Special Operations Group of Jammu and Kashmir Police, Handwara on specific intelligence inputs about presence of militants in the area. 'This morning troops trapped the two militants in the forests and they fired on the Army search party killing a soldier and injuring the other. Army retaliated and killed both the militants. The militant group had split into two parts and the other two militants are still in the area. Security forces have intensified the searches against these two militants', sources said. The militant group had managed to give slip to the troops on November 21 in the upper belt of Bhawan forests. Police and Army were tracking them since then. A Defence spokesman said here: 'Two terrorists were today gunned down in anencounter with the security forces in Handwara, North Kashmir. One Army soldier was martyred in the operation while another has been injured.' 'Continuing its relentless operations against the terrorists, the Army and JKP launched an operation in Boban Watsar forest, Handwara on receiving information about the presence of some terrorists. As the forces closed in, they drew fire from the terrorists resulting in the death of one soldier Naik Satish Kumar and injury to another. In the ensuing gun battle, the Army killed two terrorists', the spokesman added. The spokesman said that large quantity of arms and ammunition and war like stores were recovered during searches. 'Besides other warlike stores, two AK series of weapons, one UBGL and five radio sets have been recovered in the operation which was still continuing at the time of filing this report', he added.