6 CRPF Men Injured In Militant Attack On Convoy At Bijbehara

7 December 2015
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Six Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were injured this morning when militants opened firing on their convoy on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway in South Kashmir's Anantnag district. Militants fired at a CRPF bus, which was part of a convoy on way to Jammu from Srinagar, near Green Tunnel at Samthan in Bijbehara. Six CRPF jawans were injured in the attack. The militants left first few vehicles and targeted two vehicles in the convoy. The six injured CRPF men were shifted to Anantnag hospital and later to Srinagar' 92-Base hospital of Army in Badami Bagh Cantonment for further treatment. The militants fled after the attack taking the cover of dense trees. CRPF spokesman, Ashish Kumar Jha, said that three militants in Army fatigues appeared from nearby fields at Sangam in Anantnag near Bijbehara this morning at around 10 am and fired at CRPF convoy. 'It was some sort of a Fidayeen attack on the convoy. The militants had planned a proper and big attack on our security forces. But due to alertness of the CRPF Road Opening Patrol deployed on the highway the attack was thwarted. Otherwise, it would have been a major attack,' Jha said. The spokesman said that the injured were shifted to Army hospital in Badami Bagh Cantonment in Srinagar. 'All of the injured men are stable after treatment,' he said. Soon, after the attack Army, police and paramilitary CRPF reached the spot and cordoned off the area. They conducted searches in the area for the militants responsible for the attack. However, no one was arrested. The traffic in the Highway remained affected for about an hour leading to traffic jams. However, after around one year traffic on the Highway was restored. Security in the highway was further strengthened after the attack on the CRPF. More troops were deployed on the highway to prevent such attacks. A Hizb-ul-Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attack. In a tele-statement Hizb spokesman Burhan-u-Din said: 'Our militants attacked a CRPF convoy near Bijbehara'. Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) spokesman, Dr Abdullah Gaznavi, also claimed responsibility for the attack on the CRPF convoy.