May 2016 News

6 Militants, Armyman Killed In Two Gunfights

27 May 2016
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: Six militants and an army man were killed in two separate encounters in North Kashmir's Baramulla and Kupwara district on Friday. 'Four heavily armed militants were killed by troops during two-day gunfight along Line of Control (LoC) in Nowgam sector in Kupwara district,' a defence spokesman said. He said three militants were killed yesterday and another died in the gunfight today. 'A Non Commissioned Officer of Rashtriya Rifles, Hangpan Dada, was also killed in the gunfight'. The spokesman said troops had detected an infiltration bid of militants early morning yesterday. 'The counter infiltration grid was reinforced while the militants were kept under constant surveillance till they could be effectively engaged. Braving all odds of extremely harsh weather and difficult terrain, troops successfully foiled the infiltration bid and killed all four militants,' he said. He said bodies of four slain militants were recovered from the site along with four AK 47 rifles and other ammunition. The spokesman said identity of the slain militants was being ascertained. He said the combing operation was going on in the area. Meanwhile, another gunbattle broke out between militants and security men in village Khonchipora Tangmarg in Baramulla district early this morning. SSP Baramulla Imtiyaz Hussain Mir said on a specific information, a joint operation was launched by police, army's 2 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and CRPF's 176 bn personnel to flush out the militants hiding in the village. 'After plugging-off all possible escape routes, troops zeroed-in on a residential house, where militants were hiding. The militants hiding in the house were asked to surrender. However, they turned down the offer and fired towards the search party,' he said. Imitiyaz said two Hizbul Mujahideen militants were killed in the encounter. 'Both were wanted in many militancy related activities. Two AK series rifles and other arms and ammunition were recovered from the encounter site,' he said. He said an army man and a policeman sustained injuries in the gunfight. The slain militants were identified as Mehraj Ahmad Bhat of Andargam, Pattan and Aadil Ahmad of Brath, Sopore. The house of Ghulam Nabi Dar, where from militants were firing on troops, was raised to ground by security men by blowing up it with explosives. As the news about the killing of militants spread in their native villages, shutdown was observed in Pattan, Palhallan, Sopore and its adjoining areas. Youth also took to streets and raised pro-Islamic and pro-Azadi slogans. A group of youth also resorted to stone pelting on security men in Palhallan. The cops dispersed the agitating youth by resorting to baton charge. In Tangmarg, a youth Riyaz Ahmad was injured when police resorted to tear gas shelling on people, who tried to move towards the encounter site. The injured was rushed to Kunzer hospital and later shifted to Srinagar for treatment. Reports said thousands of people attended the funeral prayers of the slain militants in Andergam Pattan and Brath Sopore amid chanting of pro-freedom, pro-Islamic and anti-India slogans. The slain militants were laid to rest at their ancestral graveyards.