July 2016 News

3 More Die; Toll Reaches 36, 1500 Injured In Clashes

13 July 2016
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: With curfew strictly imposed in parts of Kashmir, there were lesser protests today but a protester was killed in Anantnag in security forces firing this evening and another succumbed to injuries while third one's body was fished out from river taking the number of killed in recent violence to 36 and the number of injured has gone up to 1500. A youth identified as Hial Ahmad Shah was killed in Harnag in Anantnag town after security forces fired at him. Reports said that an Army vehicle was encircled by a group of protesters at Harnag and a party of security forces that was dealing with the law and order problem fired at protesters killing Shah on the spot. One Javaid Ahmad Lone, son of Ghulam Mohammad Lone, resident of Mishpora in Khudwani Kulgam, succumbed to his injuries today. He was injured during protests at Tral yesterday after security forces had opened fire on protesters. Another youth, Zahoor Ahmad Mantoo, son of Sanaullah Mantoo, resident of Kakapora Pulwama, had drowned in river on Sunday while security forces were chasing protesters. The body of the deceased was fished out from Awantipora. With these three fresh deaths, toll in the violence after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander, Burhan Muzzafar Wani has climbed to 36. An official said here that the number of injured in the violence during last 5 days of violence has gone over 1500 including around 500 police and para-military CRPF men. President of Doctors Association and Consultant at Srinagar's SMHS hospital, Dr Nisarul Hassan said: 'We have received 211 injured persons for last 4 days. Out of these 103 have pellet injuries and rest of them have been hit by bullets and some of them were shifted to Bone and Joints Hospital.' The SKIMS hospital in Soura has received 68 injured for last 5 days. The doctors said that majority of those who have pellet injuries have suffered severe damages to their eyes. They said that some of them may lose vision while others may lose it partially. Meanwhile, the curfew and shutdown continued across Kashmir valley amidst clashes and protests against the killings. The downtown Srinagar, Maisuma, Batamaloo and other areas of Srinagar and major town in South and North Kashmir remained under strict curfew and rest of the areas observed shutdown. Clashes took place at several areas in the Valley including Sekidafar, Nowgam, Chanapora, Bagh-e-Mehtab, Chota Bazar, Khudwani, Kulgam, Putkha Sopore, Main Chowk Sopore, Imam Sahib, Shopian, Kakpora, Kralpora, Kupwara, Trehgam, Langate, Lalpora, Baramulla, Krusan and Papchan Bandipora. Over three dozen persons were injured in fresh clashes. A girl identified as Insha Mushtaq resident of Sedaw, Shopian was critically injured after security forces fired pellets towards youths who attacked a police officer's motorcade. She was removed to Srinagar's SMHS Hospital and her condition is said to be critical. Another youth was critically injured when security forces fired at protesters in Koil area of Pulwama. At Kulgam, people set ablaze house of Gowhar Ahmad, a former counter-insurgent who is serving in Special Operations Group of Jammu and Kashmir Police. A police spokesman said: 'The situation in the Valley remained under control today though some incidents of stone pelting were reported.' 'The stray and intermittent incidents of stone pelting were reported from Khudwani, Kulgam, Putkha Sopore, Main Chowk Sopore, Imam Sahib, Shopian, Kakpora, Kralpora, Kupwara, Trehgam, Langate and Lalpora', the spokesman said. He added, 'Early today, militants fired upon the vehicle of SDPO Zainapora near Malik Gund, Imam Sahib Shopian when he was on way to Imam Sahib along with law and order deployment. There was no loss of life-injuries in this incident'. Police today detained Hurriyat Conference chairmen Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq outside their residences at Hyderpora and Nageen when they tried to march towards martyrs graveyard in Naqashband Sahab. Geelani was lodged in police post Humhama and later released. Mirwaiz was lodged at S P Hazratbal office at Nigeen. He was also later released.