July 2016 News

Curfew, Clashes Mark Day 12 Of Kashmir Unrest

20 July 2016
Rising Kashmir
Sumaiya Yousuf

Srinagar: The death toll in curfew-bound Kashmir rose to 48 after a man succumbed to injuries at SMHS hospital here Wednesday while three youth were injured after Army opened fire at protesters in Pulwama district. The deceased, Ghulam Mohi-ud-Din Mir of Khumriyal (Kupwara) had received a bullet injury in the head during the clashes in the area following militant commander, Burhan Wani's killing. A police official said at least three youth were wounded after Army men from 55 RR opened fire on protesters at Batnoor, Lassipora area of Pulwama district. He said the protesters had blocked the road and attacked army vehicles with stones. 'The injured have been shifted to hospital,' he added. Life remained paralyzed across the valley as curfew continued to be in place for the 12th consecutive day amid heavy deployment of police and paramilitary forces. Incidents of stone pelting were reported from Nowpora in Sopore, Koundbal, Alestang in Ganderbal, Sangam in Anantnag, Kaloosa in Bandipora and Reck Chowk and Karan Nagar in Srinagar, according to police spokesman. Barring BSNL postpaid phone and broadband internet services, mobile phone connectivity remained suspended in the valley. Meanwhile, in a surprising move, the government announced that the schools in four districts - Ganderbal, Budgam, Baramulla and Bandipora- will reopen on Thursday. The schools, which were closed for 17-day summer vacation from July 1, were scheduled to reopen on July 18. However, the government had extended the vacations by one week till July 25 in view of the ongoing turmoil in the valley. The government order did not make any mention about reopening of schools in the remaining six districts including Srinagar. Authorities have also decided to lift restrictions on Thursday after 2 PM in some parts of the valley with officials planning to distribute 'free food packets among poor families affected in the ongoing unrest in the valley'. The move coincides with the similar break in the protest-cum-shutdown calendar given by separatist leaders after 2 PM on Thursday 'so that people can stock essentials'. Complete blackout was observed in many areas of the valley and songs of freedom and martyrdom were being played over Masjid loudspeakers.