July 2016 News

Two Soldiers Killed While Foiling Infiltration Bid On LoC

30 July 2016

Srinagar: For the second time in the last four days, the Indian army foiled a major infiltration bid along the line of control (LoC) in Nougam sector of Kupwara district. Two army soldiers and two militants were killed in the gunfight after troops intercepted the infiltrators on Friday night. Elsewhere stone throwers attacked the cavalcade of J&K minister of education Naeem Akhtar when he was returning home after chairing the security review meeting at Sumbal in Bandipora district of north Kashmir. Colonel NN Joshi, defence spokesman at Srinagar, told dna that alert troops intercepted the terrorists attempting to infiltrate in the intervening night of July 29 and 30. 'In the ensuing gun fight two terrorists were killed. Two soldiers attained martyrdom and another suffered wounds', Joshi said. The two slain soldiers have been identified as Sepoy Vishal Chaudhary and Sepoy Babloo of 61 Rashtriya Riffles. 'Northern army commander and all ranks salute and condole supreme sacrifice of Sep Babloo and Sep Vishal Chaudhary for foiling infiltration bid in Naugam', tweeted Northern Command of Indian army. Indian army has recovered two AK assault rifles, one under barrel grenade launcher and other war like and administrative stores from the possession of those slain. This is the second major infiltration bid to have been foiled in the same sector in the last four days. On July 26, the Indian army achieved a major success when they killed four infiltrators and captured a Pakistani ultra alive during the anti infiltration operation on the Line of Control (LoC) in Naugam sector of Kupwara district in north Kashmir. The infiltration bid was foiled on the day when suspected militants killed an activist of Tahreek-e-Hurriyat Fayaz, Ahmad Rather, after abducting him from his home at Saidpora village in Rafiabad area of Baramulla district. Stone throwers attacked the cavalcade of J&K education minister and government spokesman Naeem Akthar when he was returning home on Saturday evening. Sources said he had gone to Sumbal to review the law and order situation. Sources said protesters had erected barricades on roads and when his cavalcade reached near Maloora-Shelwat, stone throwers pelted rocks. Police had to fire tear gas shells to disperse the mob to ensure safe passage for the minister. Later the official spokesman said that Akhtar visited Sumbal, Sonawari in district Bandipora to take stock of the law and order situation and availability of essential commodities. 'The Minister also visited the local sub-district hospital to enquire the availability medicines and other essentials. He asked Director Health Services of Kashmir to ensure adequate supply of medicines and other paraphernalia for the hospital,' he said. Interacting with the civil society groups, the Minister urged people to help the government in restoring calm to prevent the massive losses being suffered on every front including the losing of precious lives. Meanwhile, the court of chief judicial magistrate of Srinagar, Massarat Shaheen issued a non-bailable warrant against SSP Srinagar after police failed to lodge an FIR against the deputy superintendent of police Yasir Qadiri in connection with the killing of a mason. Father of the mason from Tengapora Batamaloo in his petition has claimed that Yasir Qadri had allegedly shot dead his son.