August 2016 News

40 Including CRPF Officer Injured As Curfew, Shutdown Continue

1 August 2016
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: Authorities today imposed curfew in two Southern districts and restrictions in parts of Anantnag and Srinagar as shutdown and curfew paralysed life for 24th consecutive day today while Minister for Rural Development Department (RDD) had to face angry protest in border town of Tanghdar. Minister for Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Law and Justice, Abdul Haq Khan, had to face angry protests in Tanghdar area of North Kashmir's Kupwara district today. Reports said that the locals protested and pelted stones at the cavalcade of Minister. The security forces swung into action to disperse the youth. Curfew remained in place in two districts including Kulgam, Pulwama and Imam Sahib, Shopian while restrictions were imposed in Anantnag town and in parts of Srinagar to thwart any protests against the civilian killings in Kashmir. A large contingent of police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed in curfew and restriction bound areas to thwart protests. Police and CRPF blocked the roads by erecting concertina and barbed wires. Reports reaching here from Srinagar, Ganderbal, Kulgam, Anantnag, Shopian, Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora districts suggested that clashes took place between security forces and protesters at several places in which at least 40 people including a CRPF officer were injured. Police and security forces fired tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters during which 15 protesters and 25 security men including Commanding Officer of CRPF was injured. A man Manzoor Ahmad, resident of Doni Pawa, Anantnag who was admitted in SMHS hospital since July 11 succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. Residents said that he was injured during clashes while police said he was injured due to a tyre burst. Restrictions were imposed in Kupwara town and clashes erupted between protesters and security forces in Kalaroosa area of Kupwara district in which four persons were injured and they were admitted in Kupwara hospital. Amid observing complete shutdown and restrictions, hundreds of people form Shopian organized bike rally in the locality to mark a protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir. Reports of minor clashes between youth and forces were also reported from several old city areas during which security forces resorted to tear smoke shells to disperse the youth. A police spokesman said here today that the situation throughout Kashmir remained under control although 15 incidents of stone pelting were reported across the Valley. 'These incidents were reported from Ganderbal, Kulgam, Anantnag, Shopian, Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora districts', the spokesman said. 'During these law and order situations three persons, 25 police and security force personnel including a CRPF Company Commander were injured. The CRPF officer suffered serious injury in his face', the spokesman said. The spokesman said: 'as a precautionary measure, curfew- restrictions were put in place in police stations of Srinagar and Anantnag towns.' The Valley observed shutdown, protests and curfew for 24th day today. Schools and colleges remained closed. The attendance in the Government offices was negligible in Srinagar city and other parts of Kashmir valley. The train services between Banihal and Baramulla remained disrupted for 24th day today and major roads and highways also remained shut. The shops, business establishments and most of the banks remained shut with only some shops selling essentials opened in the early morning and late evening and people were seen busy in buying essentials. In the evening, shops and traffic was seen for the first time in 24 days giving a semblance of some life. The prepaid Cell phone services and mobile internet continues to remain blocked across Valley and only BSNL broadband internet services are functional.