August 2016 News

Curfew, Restrictions Enforce Uneasy Calm In Kashmir

23 August 2016
Rising Kashmir
Sumaiya Yousuf

Srinagar: Curfew, restrictions and shutdown continued in Kashmir for 46th consecutive day on Tuesday while dozens of people including a woman were injured in fresh tear gas and pellet shelling of police and paramilitary forces. The police and paramilitary forces enforced curfew and restrictions in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to maintain law and order and foil protests. However, the restrictions in civil lines areas were relaxed in the day. A police spokesman said following improvement in situation, curfew was lifted from most areas of Srinagar. 'There was increased movement of people and vehicular traffic in Srinagar,' he claimed. He, however, said curfew remained in force in Anantnag district and areas falling under eight police stations in Srinagar. Meanwhile, people in large numbers took out peaceful protests and offered Nimaz-e-Zuhar on roads in Sopore, Bandipora and Srinagar. Peaceful protests were also held after Nimaz at Hajin, Sopore, Naidkhai, Aloosa, and Ajas areas of North Kashmir. In evening, protests were held at some parts in downtown Srinagar, Baramulla, Kupwara, Sopore and Bandipora. Clashes erupted in Bandipora and Sopore areas after police and paramilitary personnel fired tear gas shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the protests. Many people including a woman sustained injuries in the forces action. A woman was injured after forces fired teargas shells to disperse protesters in Watpora village of Bandipora. The woman identified as Haseena of Watpora was hit by tear gas shell in abdomen. She was rushed to sub district hospital, where she is undergoing treatment. Police also chased away protestors at main market Bandipora, who had erected tents on roads. The protesters resisted the police action, which triggered clashes. Police fired tear gas shells in some areas of downtown Srinagar after youth attempted to take away protest rallies in the evening. The cops resorted to baton charge to disperse the protestors. Peaceful protests were also held at Rawalpora, Khanyar, Babdemb, Barzulla Bagaat and Sanat Nagar areas in Srinagar. Evening clashes and protests rocked Batamaloo, Chattabal, Bemina, Rainawari, Bab Demb, Maisuma, Lal Bazaar, Hazratbal, Natipora and many other parts of Srinagar. Normal life in Valley remained crippled for 46th consecutive day due to curbs imposed by the authorities and shut down called by separatist. The Valley has been witnessing toughest curfew in decades since militant commander Burhan Wani was killed by forces in South Kashmir's Kokernag area on July 8. At least 69 people have been killed and thousands others injured in the ongoing unrest. The night curfew continues to remain in place in Srinagar and north Kashmir's Sopore, Baramulla, Bandipora, Kupwara and many parts of south Kashmir. A police spokesman said three incidents of stone pelting were reported from Shopian, Srinagar and Sopore. 'Except for these incidents situation remained under control across the valley,' he said.