August 2016 News

Kashmir Day 48: Protests For Freedom Continue Amid Curfew, Shutdown

25 August 2016
Kashmir Watch

Srinagar: Shutdown, curfew and protests continued in Kashmir on Thursday as ongoing unrest that began after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzzafar Wani entered 48th day but there was no major incident of violence today and the day passed off peacefully compared to Wednesday. The Srinagar's Old City, Maisuma and Batamaloo areas continue to reel under curfew but due to intermittent rainfall it was not enforced strictly. However, thousands of forces personnel deployed were seen alert to foil any protest by people. In civil lines areas of the city, there were was curfew or any kind of restrictions but a complete shutdown was observed by people on 48th day. All the shops, commercial establishments, educational institutes and petrol pumps remained closed across the city. The government offices and banks witnessed low attendance of employees. Though fewer private vehicles were seen plying on roads but public transport was completely off the roads. Reports said that routine clashes in Old City areas erupted after lifting of curfew in the evening. A Tata Sumo vehicle was set ablaze by protesters at Nowshehra area of city here. Police sources said that the sumo was carrying some equipments of cellular company, Airtel, and it was intercepted by protesters at Nowshehra. 'They set it ablaze then,' said the sources, adding that it was being driven by one Shabir Hussain of Alamgari Bazar area of Srinagar. The motive behind the torching of vehicle was not known immediately. After Wednesday's violence, a strict curfew was imposed in Pulwama town of south Kashmir during which hundreds of forces personnel were deployed to thwart any kind of protests. However, several peaceful protest rallies were held in several villages of Pulwama including at Achhan and Paccharaw Rajpora. These rallies remained peaceful and there was no incident of violence. The curfew also remained in place in Anantnag and Pampore townships of south Kashmir. Thousands of people attended 'Kherbal Mattan Chalo' and 'Nowpora Qazigund chalo' in Annantnag district. Similar chalo was held at Gadapora in Shopian district. These rallies were addressed by local elders and pro-freedom leaders. In north Kashmir's Bandipora, a youth was hit by a teargas shell at Qazipora area during clashes. He was shifted to hospital for treatment. The clashes also erupted at Kaloosa in the district. According to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters, Kashmir, six incidents of stone-pelting were reported from Srinagar, Sopore, Kupwara and Bandipora on Thursday. 'These incidents were reported from Lawaypora in Srinagar, Hatlangoo; Warpora in Sopore, Khurhama in Kupwara, Watpora; Kaloosa in Bandipora,' the statement said, adding: 'overall situation remained under control across and valley till filing of this report.'