September 2016 News

2 More Teenagers Killed In Forces' Firing, Death Toll 79

10 September 2016
Rising Kashmir
Muhammad Suhail

Anantnag: Two teenagers were killed in fresh pellet and tear gas shelling of forces in South Kashmir on Saturday, taking the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest triggered by killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani to 79. Over 200 people were injured in clashes with forces across the Valley while the curbs and shutdown crippled life in Valley for the 64th consecutive day. Fifteen-year-old Sayar Ahmad Sheikh son of Shamim Ahmad Sheikh of Ganawpora, Shopian was hit by a tear gas shell on head in forces firing in Tukroo village of Shopian district this morning. The locals said a peaceful pro-freedom rally was supposed to take place in Tukroo village. The force personnel visited the village this morning and vandalized the venue and thrashed the people. The forces action evoked protests from the people. The force personnel fired pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse hundreds of people. Sheikh was hit by a tear smoke shell on head and was shifted to a hospital in neighboring Pulwama district, where doctors declared him 'brought dead'. His death triggered massive protests in the Tukroo, Ganawpora and other areas. The forces fired pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse the protestors. At least 50 people sustained injuries in the forces action. Most of the injured were hit by pellets. 'We received at least 37 pellet injuries from Shopian today. One boy was hit in the eyes and was shifted to Srinagar for specialized treatment,' a senior health official told Rising Kashmir. In Battengoo village of Anantnag district, 18 year old Yawar Dar son of Mushtaq Ahmad was killed after being hit by pellets near his home. Locals alleged that forces entered the village and started ransacking the houses and beating the villagers. 'It caused panic in the area and people ran for safety'. 'Yawar was caught in middle of the chaos and forces fired pellets at him from a very close range,' they said adding no stone pelting was going on in the area when force personnel fired pellets. The locals shifted Yawar to district hospital Anantnag, where doctors declared him 'brought dead'. 'He (Yawar) had sustained pellet injuries on chest and abdomen. The pellets were fired at him from a very close range,' a doctor at the hospital told Rising Kashmir. Hundreds of people participated in the funeral procession of the slain youth. However, the forces intercepted the funeral procession and fired tear smoke shells and pellets towards the mourners. Over a dozen people sustained injuries in the forces action. The fear stricken mourners left Yawar's body in middle of a ground and ran for safety. Later, people regrouped and participated in large numbers in the funeral prayer of the slain youth amidst chanting of pro-freedom, pro-Islamic, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans. The locals alleged that forces fired dozens of tear smoke shells towards a local government school, which caught fire. The fire was brought under control but not before causing damage to the school building. Police, however, claimed that the school was set afire by some miscreants. With two fresh death deaths, the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest in the Valley triggered by killing of Burhan Wani on July 8 has risen to 79. Over 10,000 civilians have also been injured in clashes between security personnel and youth during protests in Valley in last 64 days. After the fresh killings, authorities imposed curfew-like restrictions in parts of South Kashmir to prevent people from taking to roads and staging demonstrations. Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Baseer Khan said restrictions were imposed in few places in Srinagar as also in some towns in the Valley to maintain law and order. The life in Valley remained crippled for 64th consecutive day today due to shutdown called by separatists. The separatists have extended the strike upto September 16. The youth at many places in uptown and downtown Srinagar took to roads and staged protest demonstrations. Chanting pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans, the protestors were demanding an end to civilian killings. The police and CRPF men fired pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse the protestors. Over a dozen people sustained injuries in the action. Clashes also erupted between protesters and forces in Budgam district. The residents of Dardpora, Budgam said the police, CRPF men and army men attacked a pro-freedom rally in the village. They said force personnel fired dozens of tear gas shells and pellets towards the protestors, causing injuries to more than dozen people including some women. The injured were shifted to Krimshore and Khansahab hospitals as forces had allegedly closed road to district hospital, Budgam. Later protests intensified as the local people of many neighboring villages started marching towards Dardpora, soon after they heard about the incident. SOUTH KASHMIR At least 14 people were injured in Nissu-Badragund village of Qazigund in Anantnag district as clashes erupted against police's attempt to foil a pro-freedom rally. In Hillad village of Dooru in Anantnag district, 8 people were injured, one of them seriously, when forces tried to foil a peaceful rally. One youth was hit by pellets in eyes. He was shifted Srinagar hospital for specialized treatment. NORTH KASHMIR Clashes erupted between youth and policemen in Gulshan Chowk area of Bandipora this evening after youth pelted stones on police party near Mini-Secretariat. The policemen fired tear gas shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the agitating youth. Local said policemen entered into the market and fired dozens of tear smoke shells and pellets there. The policemen enforced shutdown in the market, where the shops had been thrown open by shopkeepers after 6 pm in view of the evening break announced by separatists. After the incident, a pro-freedom rally was taken out from Jamia Masjid Qadeem. The participants raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans Meanwhile, a youth was injured in clashes between forces and youth in Chittibandey village. He was hit by a tear gas shell on face and was rushed to Sub-District Hospital Bandipora. The injured youth was identified as 26-year-old Shakeel Ahmad Lone of Chittibandey. The clashes had erupted in the village after police detained a youth Isaaq Amin (25). At least 10 people sustained injuries when forces fired pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse a pro-freedom rally in Duroo village of Sopore in Baramulla district. The locals said police and CRPF dismantled the stage and took away audio system and vandalised the stage, said a local. The rally organised by tehsil wing of Tehreek-e- Hurriyat near Government High school Duroo. However, despite forces action, thousands of people attended the freedom rally and listened the telephonic address of Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani. In his telephonic address, Geelani impressed upon people to remain determined in pursuit of 'freedom'. 'Don't fall prey to petty issues, which create an atmosphere of disgust and disbelief in separatist freedom leadership. You (People) have displayed resilience since 1947 and you must continue this resilience obligate with added zeal,' he said. Amid chanting of pro-freedom slogans, Geelani asked people to help needy on Eid-ul-Azha. 'Our Eid is in our freedom and we must make sure that none faces problem on the auspicious occasion.' 'Stronger Bait-ul-Maals means our struggle against the forcible occupation will be stronger' he said and stressed upon people to strengthen the Bait-ul-Maals. Clashes erupted in Main town Baramulla after a youth Asif Gul of Kanispora was arrested by Army and later handed over to police. Chanting anti-army, anti-police and anti-India slogans, the protestor were demanding an end to civilian killings and release of the arrested youth. POLICE SPEAKS A police spokesman said six incidents of stone pelting were reported from Anantnag, Kulgam, Sopore, Baramulla and Shopian. 'At these places, miscreants assembled on the roads and pelted stones on police and security deployments and tried to disturb the movement of the vehicles,' he said. The spokesman said at Shopian, about 500 miscreants assembled and pelted stones on police and force deployments at Tukroo. 'The police used lathi charge and fired tear gas smoke shells to disperse the violent mob,' he said adding one person identified as Sayar Ahmad Sheikh of Ganovpora got injured after being hit by tear smoke shell. He said the injured youth was shifted to Sub District Hospital Rajpora for treatment where he succumbed to injuries. The spokesman said about 200 miscreants attacked police and security deployments at Batingoo, Anantnag. 'While dealing with the situation police used lathi charge and fired tear gas smoke shells but the miscreants did not yield. While dealing with law and order, one person identified as Yawar Mushtaq Dar got injured. He was shifted to hospital for treatment where he succumbed to injuries,' he said.