September 2016 News

Curbs, Shutdown Remain In Force For 78th Day

24 September 2016
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: Police imposed curfew and restrictions in parts of Valley to foil the protest marches called by separatists while normal life remained paralyzed for 78th consecutive day on Saturday. A police official said curfew-like restrictions were imposed in three police station areas of the Srinagar, Handwara, Chadoora and other towns of the Valley to foil the protests and marches called by separatists. Large number of police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength Chadoora town and curfew was imposed to prevent movement of people and foil the protest march called by United Hurriyat leaders. The curfew also remained in force in three police station areas of Nowhatta, Khanyar and M R Gunj in downtown Srinagar. The police official said in the areas, where curfew was not imposed restrictions under Section 144 CrPc remained in force to foil anti-India protests. Due to the curbs imposed by authorities and shutdown called by separatists, life in Valley remained paralysed for 78th consecutive day today. All shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed while public transport was off the roads. The separatists have extended the shutdown till September 29. Kashmir has been witnessing unrest since July 9, a day after 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed by forces. At least 88 people have been killed and over 11,000 injured in over two month long unrest in the Valley. Clashes erupted between youth and forces in Kani Kadal, Chota bazaar area of Srinagar during which forces fired tear gas shells to disperse the agitating youth. The youth had earlier erected temporary barricades to stop the movement in the area. They were checking identity cards of the commuters as well. Clashes also erupted between youth and forces in Noorbagh area of Srinagar during which forces used tear gas canisters and resorted to baton charge to disperse the youth, who pelted stones on them. Meanwhile, city centre and other parts of Valley were abuzz with activities in the evening during the relaxation in shutdown announced by the separatists. The shops and other business establishments opened at commercial hub and other areas. The stretch from Polo View to Ghanta Ghar saw a huge rush of people from 6 pm. NORTH KASHMIR Thousands of people attended funeral prayers of Waseem Ahmad Lone at his hometown Nadihal Rafiabad in Baramulla today amidst chanting of pro-freedom, pro-Islamic and anti-India slogans. Lone was killed in army firing in Nadihal yesterday. A somber was visible at his hometown as teary-eyed family members lowered his body into the grave at his ancestral village of Bunpora. The funeral prayers of Lone were led by his father Nazir Ahmad Lone at a school ground. According to the local hospital authorities, a bullet had hit Lone on his back and pierced through his heart causing his death. On Saturdaymorning thousands of people gathered on the Baramulla-Kupwara highway with Lone's body and took part in a peace march. The mobile services except BSNL post paid services were suspended by authorities in Baramulla district since yesterday evening. 'Only BSNL phones were working. All private mobile phone services were barred without any reason or explanation,' the locals said. Meanwhile, curfew was today imposed in Handwara town of north Kashmir to thwart any possible protests against the civilian killing in Nadihal area of Baramulla. People took to roads at many places in Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora and staged anti-India rallies. At some places, protesting people clashed with the police and CRPF men. SOUTH KASHMIR At least four civilians were injured when forces fired tear gas shells and pellets to foil a pro-freedom rally in Shangus area of Anantnag district. People of Shangus and its adjoining areas had planned a pro-freedom rally in the premises of Markaz-i-Jamia Masjid Shangus. But forces raided the village in the early morning and sealed all routes leading to the freedom rally venue. As people from adjoining areas tried to march towards Shangus, they were intercepted by the force personnel, who fired pellets and tear gas shells to disperse them. At least four people were injured in the forces action and rushed to PHC Nowgam. The locals alleged that forces damaged a 100 KV electricity transformer and detained some youth before leaving the village. Later, people took to roads and staged massive demonstrations. Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, they were demanding immediate release of the detained youth. People in Verinag held protests against highhandedness of troops. They chanted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans during the protests. POLICE SPEAKS A police spokesman said overall situation across the valley remained under control and peaceful today. 'There was no untoward incident reported from any part of the valley,' he said. The spokesman said during past 24 hours, police arrested 39 miscreants wanted in offences of creating disruption in traffic movement by stone pelting and by placing obstructions on roads and lanes, harassing shops keepers and also found involved in damaging public-private property. Police has arrested over 3500 people during the over two month long unrest in the Valley to quell the anti-India uprising.