October 2016 News

Day 88: Clashes, Protests, Shutdown Continues In Kashmir

4 October 2016
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: The protests, clashes and shutdown continued in Valley for the 88th consecutive day on Tuesday while two auto-rickshaws were set ablaze by unidentified persons in Srinagar. All shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed while public transport was off the roads. However, some private vehicles were plying in uptown Srinagar. A police official said there was no curfew in any part of the Valley today. He, however, said restrictions on assembly of more than four people continued to remain in force in the Valley. It was for the 88th consecutive day that life in Valley remained crippled due to shutdown and restrictions. However, the uptown areas of Srinagar and commercial hub Lal Chowk continued to witness considerable movement of traffic during the day. At least 90 people have been killed and over 12000 injured in the ongoing unrest triggered by killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8. Meanwhile, two auto-rickshaws were set ablaze by unidentified persons at Bagwanpora, Babademb and Saida Kadal this afternoon. A police spokesman said miscreants in their attempt to disturb the situation set on fire two auto rickshaws, one at Bhagwanpora in jurisdiction of police station Kralkhud and another at near Polytechnic College Saidakadal in downtown Srinagar. He said police has taken cognizance and launched search to nab those involved in setting afire the auto-rickshaws. Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Batamaloo area after force personnel stopped 'anti-exam' protest of the students in the area. The youth pelted stones on the cops, who fired tear smoke shells to disperse them. The clashes continued for about an hour. The clashes between youth and cops were also reported from some areas in downtown Srinagar. The clashes between youth and forces also took place in Saloora area of Ganderbal district after forces tried to foil a pro-freedom rally taken out by women. Angered by the police action, the youth pelted stones on the cops, who fired dozens of tear smoke shells and resorted to heavy baton charge to disperse them. The clashes continued for some time. SOUTH KASHMIR Police raided the residence of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat General Secretary Anantnag Fayaz Ahmad at Waghama, Bijbehara in Anantnag district at about 2.30 am. 'However, Fayaz was not present in the house when police raided it. When the inmates resisted police harassment, the cops fired pellets in the house. 30-year-old Shakeela, who is cousin of Fayaz, sustained pellet injuries in the cops firing. She has been hospitalized,' the locals said. People in the area later staged protests against the police highhandedness. The women led by Dukhtaran-e-Millat leaders staged a pro-freedom rally at Tral in Pulwama district. Chanting pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans, the protestors marched towards Tral Bala. However, as soon as they reached near the bus stand, they were intercepted by the force personnel, who fired pellets and tear gas shells on them. Half a dozen protestors were injured in the forces action. The protesters alleged that forces misbehaved with the women during the protest. NORTH KASHMIR Locals in Ajas Bandipora sad police arrested two youth during raids in the area. The arrests triggered protests in the area with people in large numbers taking to roads and staging anti-government and anti-police demonstration. Chanting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans, the protestors were demanding immediate release of the arrested youth. The clashes between youth and cops was also reported from Watpora, Ashtangoo, Qazipora, and Putushay villages of Bandipora district. Many people sustained injuries in the forces action during these protests. The clashes were also reported from Papchan area of Bandipora district during which forces fired tear gas shells on the protestors. The residents of Qazipora, Putushay and Warpora villages alleged that forces went berserk in the villages in the wee hours today and barged into the houses and ransacked the household goods. Meanwhile, hundreds of women took out a pro-freedom rally in Sopore town this afternoon. After the Zuhr prayers, hundreds of women took out a pro-freedom march from Jamia Masjid during which they chanted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. At least five people were arrested during pro-freedom protests at Trehgam, Kupwara today. The arrests triggered protests in the area during which force fired dozens of tear smoke shells to disperse youth, who were pelting stones on them. The locals alleged that arrested persons were not involved in stone pelting and were innocents. 'They were ruthlessly beaten by force personnel before whisking them away to their camps,' they said. At least three persons were injured in clashes last evening in Trehgam, Kupwara. POLICE SPEAKS A police spokesman said situation across the valley remained by and large peaceful today. He said two incidents of arson were reported from Srinagar and a stray incident of stone pelting was reported from Bandipora. The spokesman said scores of vehicles were seen plying in the main towns and on the inter district roads of the valley. 'In its drive to curb the activities of the miscreants, police arrested 57 such individuals involved in various offences of creating disturbances from different part of the valley in last 24 hours,' he added.