October 2016 News

Day 115th: 30 Injured In Clashes In Pulwama, 12 Hit By Pellets

31 October 2016
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: The normal life remained affected in Valley for the 115th consecutive day on Monday due to the separatist-sponsored strike while at least 30 people were injured in clashes between protestors and forces in South Kashmir's Pulwama district with 12 persons sustaining pellet injuries, one of them a girl hit by pellets in both eyes. All shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley while public transport was off the roads. However, there was some movement of private cars and auto-rickshaws in the city. A police official said although there were no curbs on the movement of people anywhere in Kashmir, the restrictions on the assembly of people under Section 144 CrPC remained in force to prevent people from taking to roads and staging anti-India demonstrations. He said police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength at vulnerable spots and along the main roads as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order. It was for the 115th consecutive day that life in Valley remained crippled due to separatists-sponsored shutdown. At least 92 people have been killed, over 13000 injured and more than 9000 arrested by police during the ongoing unrest in the Valley triggered by killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8. The separatists, who are spearheading the ongoing agitation in support of demand for right to self determination, have been issuing weekly protest calendars since Wani's killing. They have extended the strike till November 3. Meanwhile, at least 30 people were injured, 12 of them being hit by pellets after force personnel fired pellets and tear gas s hells on protestors in Mulwani Mohalla Rohmu area of South Kashmir's Pulwama district. Army's 53 Rashtriya Rifles, CRPF and police cordoned off Mulwani area at 5 am and launched search operation. The people came out on roads when army men started removing banners and flags from the area. The force personnel pellets and tear gas shells to disperse the protestors, who were chanting pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans. The protestors retaliated by pelting stones on them and the clashes continued for more than two hours. At least 30 people sustained injuries in the forces action and 12 of the injured were hit by pellets. One of the girl, who is 13-year-old, was hit by pellets in both the eyes and another girl also sustained pellet injuries in one eye. According to locals, six of the injured including the two girls were shifted to SMHS for specialized treatment. The residents alleged that the clashes erupted after forces started roughing up locals including a retired police officer and smashing window panes of the houses and windscreens of the parked vehicles. 'The forces also set dry grass on fire,' they said. Meanwhile, police and CRPF men raided the residence of arrest Tehreek-e-Hurriyat (TeH) Shopian chief, Muhammad Yousuf Falahi at Chitragam, Shopian in South Kashmir this morning. The locals came out on roads to protest the police raid. Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, the protestors pelted stones on the cops. The force personnel retaliated by firing dozens of tear gas shells on the protestors and the clashes continued for some time. Falahi, a religious scholar, has lead many anti-India rallies since July 9 and is evading arrest. POLICE SPEAKS A police spokesman said situation across the valley remained largely peaceful and under control. He said in Sopore, some miscreants hurled a petrol bomb near Sub District Hospital Sopore. 'Police has taken cognizance of the incident and manhunt for the miscreant involved in it'. The spokesman said police continued with adequate deployment at vulnerable points in Srinagar city, as also in main towns as also on the roads, lanes and by-lanes connecting different places. Commenting on the Pulwama incident, he said forces cordoned off Rohomu village in Pulwama this morning. 'Some miscreants assembled and pelted stones on the forces. Later, on a huge mob assembled and pelted stones on the forces camp. The reinforcement was sent to the spot. In this incident, some persons and police and CRPF personnel including three officers were injured. Most of the injured were discharged after first aid,' he added.