November 2016 News

Scores Injured In Srinagar, Sopore, Shopian Clashes

2 November 2016
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: Cordon and search operations sparked protests and clashes in different parts of Kashmir valley on Wednesday that left nearly 50 people injured. Some of the injured are reported to be critical. Clashes erupted in Soura on the city outskirts after government forces cordoned off Anchar area and conducted door-to-door searches to arrest some youth allegedly involved in stone pelting. Around 35 people, including a police officer and some police and paramilitary personnel, were wounded during the clashes. Meanwhile, at least 10 persons were wounded while one of them received pellets in his eyes in Hygam area of Sopore in North Kashmir's Baramulla district when police foiled a protest march. The situation in Soura area was tense and reinforcements were rushed to disperse the protesters. The residents alleged that government forces resorted to unprovoked tear-smoke shelling and also lobbed PAVA shells into the houses and premises of people. The agitated residents took to streets in large numbers and pelted stones at the government forces who retaliated with pellets and tear-smoke canisters. As the protesters didn't relent, government forces resorted to aerial firing to disperse them. The protest spread to 90 feet area when forces personnel allegedly barged into residential houses and ransacked private property. A youth was hit by a teargas shell on his head during clashes and was shifted to Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) for treatment. Local news agency CNS quoted local residents alleging that the men in uniform behaved as if they were drunk and didn't know what they were doing. 'They thrashed everyone who came in their way. Even women, kids and elderly people were not spared,' the locals said. Reports said SP Naveed Peerzada was among several police and paramilitary personnel injured in the clashes. Peerzada received wounds in his hand. According to a police statement: 'Miscreants in large number pelted stones upon the deployments at Anchar Soura resulting in the grievous injuries to SP Hazratbal and 35 other police and security forces personnel.' 'While dealing with the law and order in the area, three civilians who were part of the mob also sustained injuries. They were shifted to SKIMS Soura for treatment. The condition of all of them is stated to be stable,' reads the police statement. Meanwhile, according to residents, several protesters took shelter inside Jenab Sahab (RA) shrine to escape the wrath of forces. Eyewitnesses said one of the tear-gas shells landed near the Auqaf building while timely action from locals saved the building from catching the fire. A 26-year-old boy, Dawood received pellets in his right eye. His wife Shazia while talking to Rising Kashmir said, the forces barged into the residential houses and beat the inmates. 'They ransacked everything. Even my 3-year-old child was not spared. He was also beaten by the forces.' 'My husband was fired in his right eye. His thigh also got severely damaged. Doctors told us that they are not sure that my husband would be able to see again with his eye,' Shazia added. Locals alleged that forces even did not allow ambulances to evacuate the injured. At least 10 persons were wounded while one of them received pellets in his eyes at Hygam Sopore area in North Kashmir's Baramulla district when police foiled a pro-freedom march there. A large number of people had gathered there while police fired pellets and tear-smoke shells to disperse them. Witnesses said that 10 persons suffered pellet injuries while one of them whom locals identified as Mehraj Sultan Dar received pellets in his eyes. In South Kashmir, government forces cordoned Bijbehara, the home town of the chief minister, Mehbooba Mufti and conducted searches. Locals said the crackdown was started at 6:30 am and it lasted for around four hours. However, they said no one was arrested during the crackdown. 'Door-to-door searches were conducted in the Baba Mohalla as well as the locality where CM's ancestral house is situated,' sources said, adding searches were also conducted in New Colony and Jamia Majid areas of the town. In South Kashmir's Pulwama police used tear-smoke shells to disperse protesters who were protesting against the alleged highhandedness of forces in Rohmu village a few days back in which scores of people including two girls suffered pellet injuries. Witnesses said large number of youth pelted stones on police near Rajpora Chowk while tear-smoke shells were used to disperse them. Clashes were also reported from Newa area of Pulwama district. Meanwhile, normal life in the valley remained affected for the 116th day of the strike called by separatist leadership even as there was increased movement of private vehicles on the roads. Some shops were also open in few areas in the civil lines and the outskirts of the city, while a large number of street vendors set up their stalls at many places. However, most of the shops, business establishments and fuel stations in the rest of the city and other parts of Kashmir were closed. They opened later in the evening during the relaxation hours of the strike calendar. The separatists, who are spearheading the ongoing agitation, have been issuing weekly protest calendars since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani on July 8. Even as there were no curbs on the movement of people anywhere in Kashmir, the officials said restrictions on the assembly of people under Section 144 CrPC were in place throughout the Valley. Forces have been deployed in strength at vulnerable spots and along the main roads. As many as 90 people, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the ongoing unrest in the Valley. SITUATION UNDER CONTROL: POLICE Meanwhile, according to a police statement, the situation across the valley remained under control 'barring six incidents of law and order'. The statement further added: 'In district Shopian, miscreants pelted stones upon police and security forces deployments at Dachoo, Rabben, Nagbal and Sugan. Police chased them away by using mild force. In Tarzoo, Sopore, miscreants in order to disrupt the normal life, pelted stones upon police and security forces deployment but were chased away. While dealing with the law and order situation. Dy SP PC Sopore got injured and was shifted to Sub District Hospital Sopore for treatment.