November 2016 News

Day 124:Unrest Intensifies After 'Stakeholders' Mandate' To Hurriyat

9 November 2016
Kashmir Observer

Srinagar: A day after joint resistance leadership in Kashmir claimed 'full mandate' from 'stakeholders' comprising transporters, traders, hoteliers and others, protests have intensified across the valley giving a new impetus to the ongoing unrest that started on July 8. Situation remained grim in the Kashmir valley, where life continued to be crippled for the 124th consecutive day on Wednesday due to strike called by separatists demanding right to 'self-determination.' Both the factions of the Hurriyat Conference (HC) and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), spearheading the agitation since July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) 'commander' Burhan Wani and two other militants were killed in Anantnag, have already extended the strike till November 10. On Tuesday, the day-long meeting between separatists with all stakeholders, including traders, transporters, those associated with tourism, religious leaders, industrialists and private schools association have authorised separatists to take 'final decision' on future strategy. Police said to maintain law and order, deployment of security forces continued across the Valley, where there is no curfew or restriction today. However, residents of Shopian alleged restrictions had been imposed in the town since early this morning and people are being directed to stay indoor. There is no change in the situation in and around the historic Jamia Masjid, stronghold of chairman of Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq. The main gates of the Masjid remained locked and nobody was being allowed to enter there. Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads. Business and other activities remained paralysed, including at major business hubs of historic Lal Chowk, Budshah Chowk, Gonikhan, Hari Singh High Street (HSHS), Residency road, Moulana Azad road, Dalgate and Exhibition. However, some vendors selling vegetables and fruits could be seen at several places. Large number of security forces and police personnel remained deployed in the city, including Residency road, Moulana Azad road, Maisuma and other areas. Fresh clashes took place between security forces and protesters in Tahab village of Pulwama which was relatively calmer over the past several weeks. Clashes erupted early morning after forces did not allow people to hold pro-freedom protests and used force against them. After that people raised anti-Indian and pro-freedom slogans which led to intense clashes between the locals and government leaving several injured, sources said. Meanwhile, at Aglar village in Shopian district, government forces resorted to heavy force and tear gas shells against the people who were marching towards the village in the backdrop of the separatists 'Aglar Chalo call', locals said. They also alleged forces of damaging their houses. In central Kashmir's Kangan area of Ganderbal, people raised anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. However, SDPO Kangan Shah Umar said no protests took place in Kangan. As many as 94 civilians have died and over 15,000 injured during the current unrest in Kashmir valley which erupted on July 8, after the killing of Hizbul Mujahedeen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security in South Kashmir.