November 2016 News

Day 131: Ist Protest-free Day Since July 8

16 November 2016
Greater Kashmir
Abid Bashir

Srinagar: Even as Kashmir continued to remain shut for the 131st consecutive day on Wednesday, today was the first day in the ongoing agitation since July 8 when no protest was reported. Roads witnessed increase in the number of private and public transport vehicles while pedestrian movement was also on the rise giving a semblance of normalcy. According to a senior police officer, there was no protest anywhere in Kashmir. 'It was a peaceful day as there were no protests or clashes anywhere,' he said. Reports said that some markets were open in uptown Srinagar throughout the day. All shops opened after 4 p.m. on the relaxation call given by joint resistance leadership. Markets swelled with private and public transport as shoppers flooded the roads. Witnesses said that public transport could be seen plying normally on Residency Road, Moulana Azad Road, Amira Kadal and other roads. For many pedestrians, seeing mini-buses ferrying passengers was a rare sight. Reports from old Srinagar said that it was for the first time after July 8 that mini-buses were seen ferrying passengers. 'I couldn't believe my eyes. After 4 p.m, mini-buses were seen ferrying a good number of passengers. It definitely was a sign of normalcy,' said Reyaz Ahmed of Nowhatta area of old Srinagar. Reports from various district headquarters said that signs of normalcy were evident as private and public transport movement showed an increase. The rush doubled after 4 p.m as traffic jams were witnessed at various places. Long queues of private vehicles were seen amid traffic jams in north Kashmir's Baramulla and Kupwara districts, reports said. Similar reports poured in from South Kashmir districts that include Anantnag, Pulwama and Shopian. Meanwhile, train services resumed partially from Budgam to Srinagar, Divisional Manager Railways, Anuj Prakash, informed reporters here. 'First we would start from Budgam to Srinagar and then resume the rest gradually,' he said. Rail service in Kashmir was suspended on July 8. Reports from South Kashmir's Pulwama district said that unknown persons hurled a petrol bomb on a readymade garment shop at bus stand Wednesday evening. Two shops got damaged in the incident, while as owner of the shop suffered injuries and was referred to a Srinagar hospital. The shop owner was identified as Aijaz Ahmed Malik of Chatapora, Pulwama.