March 2017 News

Restrictions Continues On Separatist Leaders In Kashmir

24 March 2017
Brighter Kashmir

Srinagar: Restrictions continued on separatist leaders, including chairmen of both the factions of the Hurriyat Conference (HC) Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq in the Kashmir valley, where bypoll will be held in Srinagar and Anantnag Lok Sabha seats next month. The separatists had issued a poll boycott call and urged people to stay away from any poll process. However, official sources said that restrictions on separatists had been imposed to prevent any law and order problem. Mr Geelani remained under house arrest since May last year, a spokesperson for the hardline HC Aiyaz Akbar told UNI. He said a large number of security forces and state police personnel remained deployed outside the Hyderpora residence of Mr Geelani who is not even being allowed to offer Friday prayers in a mosque. Mr Akbar alleged that the amalgam chairman was even not allowed to address press conference recently. Though there was no strike call today (Friday), still about a dozen other senior leaders, including Mohammad Ashraf Sehrayee, Shabir Ahmad Shah, Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Peer Saifullah, Altaf Ahmad Shah, Raja Mehrajuddin and Mohammad Ashraf Laya, have been put under house arrest while Umar Adil Dar has been detained in police station, Mr Akbar said, adding that he too remained confined in his Maloora house due to restrictions. Mr Geelani and other leaders of the amalgam could not travel to New Delhi to attend the Pakistan Day function yesterday due to restrictions, he said. 'We have apprehension that restrictions on separatist leaders will continue till 'election drama' in Srinagar and Anantnag parliamentary constituencies will not end on April 12,' he said. Meanwhile, chairman of moderate HC Mirwaiz also remained under house arrest, media advisor to HC Advocate Shahidul Islam said. He said the Mirwaiz and several other senior leaders of the amalgam, including himself, were scheduled to travel to New Delhi to attend Pak Day function. But security forces and state police personnel remained deployed outside the Nigeen house of the Mirwaiz, who remained under house arrest for the past about one week. 'I have also been put under house arrest this morning to prevent me for leaving for New Delhi,' Advocate Islam said. Meanwhile, chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), who was taken to hospital for medical checkup, has again been shifted to Central jail, Srinagar.