March 2017 News

Kashmir Shuts Against Civilian Killings

29 March 2017
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: Kashmir observed complete shutdown on Wednesday to protest against the killing of three civilians in forces firing near encounter site at Chadoora in central Kashmir's Budgam district Wednesday. Youth at many places in the Valley clashed with the security personnel, who lobbed tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse them. The shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley. Public transport was also off the roads. Due to the strike, the work in government offices and banks was affected. The strike was called by separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik to protest against killing of three civilians by forces near encounter site in Chadoora, Budgam yesterday. They have also asked the people to hold protests after congregational prayers on Friday. Authorities had deployed large number of police and paramilitary personnel in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to maintain law and order and foil anti-India protests. The train services between Baramulla and Banihal were suspended for the day. In view of the situation, Kashmir University, Central University Kashmir and Islamic University of Science and Technology postponed all examinations scheduled for today. The youth clashed with security personnel in some parts of Srinagar including Rangreth, Rawalpora, Bagh-e-Mehtab, Zampa Kadal, Batamaloo, Habba Kadal, Safa Kadal, HMT, Parimpora, Illahibagh and Rainawari. The youth pelted stones on the security men, who fired tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the protestors. The clashes were also reported from Old town Baramulla and Palhalan area in North Kashmir's Baramulla district. The clashes also broke out between protesters and forces in Yaripora area of Kulgam district after burial of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tauseef Ahmad Wagay. He was killed in a gunfight with the forces in Chadoora, Budgam yesterday. At Goriwan Bijbehara, the police and CRPF men resorted to intense tear-gas shelling to disperse the youth protesting against the civilian killings. The clashes continued for more than an hour. In Ajas area of Bandipora, people offered funeral prayers in absentia for the slain civilians and Hizb militant killed in Chadoora. After offering funeral prayers in absentia, people staged a sit-in against the civilian killings and chanted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Central Kashmir Range, Ghulam Hassan Bhat said the overall situation remained under control. 'Few minor stone pelting incidents took place in Rangreth and other Srinagar areas. However, no injury was reported from anywhere,' he said.