April 2017 News

Kashmir Shuts Against Sajad's Killing

16 April 2017
Greater Kashmir

Srinagar: Kashmir observed a complete shutdown on Sunday against the killing of a youth by paramilitary forces at Batmaloo here on Saturday, even as police imposed strict restrictions in a few uptown areas to thwart pro-freedom protests. Shops and business establishments remained closed while traffic movement was thin across the Valley, according to reports and witnesses. The shutdown call was given by the joint resistance leadership comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, to mourn the killing of Sajad Hussain of north Kashmir's Baramulla district, in Batamaloo area on Saturday. Sajad was shot dead by BSF personnel. Witnesses said mild clashes broke out between youth and government forces at Braripora and Tangbagh in old Srinagar. In Batamaloo, there was heavy deployment of forces amid strict restrictions on movement of people and vehicles. 'Not even a fruit vendor could be seen in the area that was dotted with forces personnel,' the witnesses said. Clashes between forces and youth also erupted in Natipora and Nowgam areas late in the evening, they said. Police said a petrol bomb was hurled at a CRPF party at Rainawari here, but no one was injured. 'Some miscreants threw a petrol bomb at a CRPF party which exploded near a vehicle. No one was injured, but the vehicle suffered minor damage,' a police spokesman said in a statement. Reports said South and North Kashmir districts, including Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam, Anantnag, Kupwara, Baramulla and Bandipora observed a complete shutdown to mourn Sajad's killing. Reports from Sopore said authorities had deployed scores of forces personnel in the town on to prevent people from staging pro-freedom protests. However, they said, clashes broke out at main chowk, Batpora and Chotta Bazaar areas of the town when some youth appeared there and started pelting stones on forces personnel and also on private vehicles to make shutdown call more effective. Forces, according to the reports, retaliated with tear-gas shelling and the ensuing clashes were on in the area till late evening.