April 2017 News

Protests, Clashes Reported Across Valley

21 April 2017
Kashmir Reader

Srinagar: Clashes erupted between youth and government forces in many parts of Kashmir after Friday prayers. However, there was no report of casualty in these clashes. Joint resistance leadership had called for protests after Friday prayers across Kashmir to express solidarity with student protests that rocked Kashmir earlier in the week. In volatile Maisuma area in Srinagar, youth clashed and government forces, while as protestors, mainly activists of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), held a sit-in near Budshah Chowk. Scores of protesters, eye-witnesses said, gathered near Madina Chowk and marched towards Budshah Chowk, raising slogans denouncing forces action against students. The protestors carried placards denouncing forces' action against students. After Friday prayers concluded in the city's Jama Masjid, protesters held a demonstration in the Nowhatta. The protesters raised slogans and carried posters of two female students who were injured earlier this week. APHC (M) members joined the protests to express solidarity with the students and against the alleged highhandedness of government forces targeting the students. A protest demonstration was taken out in Hyderpora area of Srinagar, which was joined by members of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat. Clashes between protesters and government forces were also reported from north Kashmir's Sopore town, where youth attempted to carry out a protest rally. Forces resorted to use of tear gas to disperse the protesters, triggering clashes. According to reports, the youth assembled near Jama Masjid in Sopore and chanted pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. Student protests continued in Bandipora of north Kashmir where students from High School Bagh marched in the town's central market, raising slogans in solidarity with the students who were injured in Degree College Pulwama on April 15. The protest triggered a shutdown in the town. Shops were closed and the traffic went completely out of gear. In Hajin, demonstrations were held in response to a protest call by pro-freedom camp, said reports. The protesters dispersed peacefully. However, some protesters later assembled near the army's good will school in Hajin and threw rocks at the building. Government forces deployed in the area resorted to tear gas shelling to disperse the protesters, triggering clashes.