May 2017 News

Clashes, Protests Against Honour To Major Gogoi

26 May 2017
Kashmir Reader
Mir Liyaqat Ali

Srinagar: Pellets fired by government troops injured two persons during protests in Srinagar against the honour given to Major Leetul Gogoi for tying a Kashmiri civilian to a mine-proof army jeep in Budgam on April 9. Clashes broke out soon after the Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta where youth pelted government troops with stones and were fired upon with pellets and teargas shells. 'Five persons were injured and two of them were hit by pellets that were fired by troops during clashes,' said an eyewitness. He said that the protesters raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans and carried posters of Burhan Wani and constable-turned-militant Syed Naveed Shah, who recently ran away with four rifles to join Hizbul ranks. Clashes also erupted in a few adjoining areas of Nowhatta where youth fought pitched battles on the streets with government troops during the day. Traffic movement was disrupted on the Nowhatta-Hawal route and in adjoining areas as intermittent clashes continued through the day. The united pro-freedom leadership had called for protests on Friday against the Indian Army chief's 'commendation card' to Major Gogoi. Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq led a protest march inside the Jamia Masjid premises. Demanding stern action against the army major, protesters raised pro-freedom and anti-army slogans. Pro-freedom activists also staged protests in Maisuma area of Lal Chowk after Friday prayers. The protesters termed Major Gogoi's act as barbaric and alleged that the officer was falsely accusing the civilian he tied to the army jeep, Farooq Ahmad Dar, of being a stone-thrower. Clashes also occurred in old Sopore town after police used force to disperse youth who were protesting after Friday prayers. Scores of youth had assembled near the Jamia Masjid in Sopore and were raising slogans against the government forces. The protesting youth pelted the government troops with stones and the troops retaliated by lobbing teargas shells at them, triggering street clashes.