July 2017 News

SC Dismisses Plea To Probe Murder Of 700 Kashmiri Pandits

24 July 2017
DNA


New Delhi: Citing delay, the Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a plea seeking a probe in the 1989-1990 massacre of more than 700 Kashmiri Pandits in the Valley. The plea also sought prosecution of various persons including separatist leader Yasin Malik for offences including murder. 'It is heart wrenching, but you should have moved court 27 years ago,' the Bench comprising of Chief Justice JS Khehar and Justice DY Chandrachud said. 'You (petitioner) sat over it for last 27 years. Now tell us from where the evidence will come,' they added. 'You are making a drama here... you are making a political speech... you are only interested in headlines... go out and talk to the media... you want something to tell them,' the Bench observed while dismissing the petition. Dismissing the plea, the Bench observed that almost 27 years have passed since the incident and it would be difficult to gather evidence at this cases involving arson, murder and looting. Militancy in the troubled state of Jammu and Kashmir was at its height during this period. The murder of almost 700 Kashmiri Pandits at the time led to an exodus of the community from the Valley amid the rising threats of militancy. Representing 'Roots of Kashmir', the organisation that filed the petition, Advocate Vikas Padora said Kashmiri Pandits were unable to join any subsequent investigation since they were forced to leave their homes. Filed on behalf of displaced Kashmiris, the petition sought the transfer of the cases to outside the state and a reinvestigation into the criminal cases. Padora agreed there was a delay in filing the plea though he submitted that neither the Centre, the state government nor the judiciary took adequate note of the incident to do the needful. In their plea, the organisation pleaded that despite the fact that 215 FIRs had been registered, none had reached their logical conclusion.

Line