August 2017 News

Massive Hunt Against JeM In South Kashmir

27 August 2017
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: The Saturday's deadly strike by Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) in South Kashmir comes as a surprise for the security forces who had wiped out the outfit from the area two years ago by killing its two top commanders in Tral, Pulwama. The attack on District Police Lines (DPL) Pulwama is first strike by Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) in South Kashmir that led to killing of eight security force personnel. The attack comes at time when security forces achieved major successes against militants this year especially in South Kashmir. This year security forces killed 136 militants so far after they launched major offensive against them especially in the last two months. Sources said that security agencies had inputs about a possible strike in South Kashmir. They said that the group was intending to target the office of the Senior Superintendent of Police Pulwama but heightened security prevented the strike there. They said that the fidayeen forced their entry into the DPL Pulwama by cutting the wire and jumping over the fence. They said that the proposed visit of former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah prevented the further casualties. 'As Omar was to visit Shopian, the police men who normally get ready for deployments by 5 am were ready on Saturday one hour ahead of the schedule, at the same time when the fidaydeen struck', they said. Sources said that after entering the DPL, the fidayeen rushed towards the SOG camp inside the complex but alert guards fired at them forcing them to enter the residential block where they were neutralized after day long gun battle. Sources said that the group recently infiltrated into Kashmir from Poonch side and comprised 5 members including 3 fidayeen of Afzal Guru Squad. The squad had earlier carried attacks in North Kashmir near the LoC in Tanghdar and this is first strike of the JeM in South Kashmir. JeM was trying to set up base in South Kashmir and its two senior commanders, Adil Pathan and Burme stayed in South Kashmir for two years but failed to get any foothold before they were killed in Tral on October 8, 2015. Security forces had launched hunt against the two members of the JeM who were part of the fidayeen squad and are looking for the locals who have provided them logistics to carry out the attack. In the meantime, police today indentified the three fidayeen as Dawood, Abu Bakar and Abu Saad, all Pakistani nationals. Three AK-47 rifles, six magazines and one UBGL was recovered from the encounter site. In the meantime, at Pattan in North Kashmir, large number of people joined the CRPF in the last rites of a CRPF man, Mohammad Yaseen Teli, killed in fidayeen attack at Pulwama. The cop had received Gallantry award on last Independence Day for his extraordinary role in counter-insurgency operation at Nowhatta on August 15, 2016. DIG CRPF (Ops) Baramulla Rajesh Kumar Yadav said, Teli, a resident of Khangumdora Pattan in Baramulla district, was also on forefront of anti militancy operations in Valley. He said that he was killed when CRPF entered the DLP for operation. His body arrived in his native village today morning. He is survived by his wife, daughter and four sisters. A pale of gloom descended on his village after officials reached there with his corpse. His sister, Hanifa said that they are proud of their brother who sacrificed the life for the nation. 'But what can we do, he was the lone bread winner for the family', she said. And large number of people also attended last rites of four cops who were killed in fidayeen attack yesterday. Constable Imtiyaz Ahmad Sheikh son of Mohammad Afzal resident of Churet, Qazigund, SPO Mohammad Yousuf Hajam son of Abdul Rehman resident of Chandgam and SPO Mohammad Rafiq Hajam son of Mohammad Akram resident of Chandgam were buried in their respective villages while as Amarjit Singh (Nursing orderly) son of Jaswant Singh resident of Khanpora Sarai, Budgam was cremated at Khanpora Sarai. Imtiyaz Ahmad Sheikh was lone bread earner of his family. He had already lost his father in his early age and had taken the responsibility of the family on his shoulders. He is survived by aged mother, wife, 5 year old handicapped daughter, a 2 year old baby and unmarried brother and sister. Mohammad Rafiq Hajam who was son of a barber was working as barber in DPL. He had toiled hard to feed his impoverished family. His father will have to toil hard to feed his family now. He is survived by elderly parents, one brother and three sisters. Mohammad Yousuf Hajam was also working as barber in DPL and used to work hard to support his family. He used to assist his father who is working as labourer to run the affairs of the family. Having meagre income, the family will be hit hard by his loss. He is survived by old parents, grandmother, two sisters and a brother. Amarjit Singh who was working as nursing orderly in DPL is survived by aged parents and a 10 year old daughter. His father is a retired employee. The wife of the deceased had already passed away. Meanwhile, shutdown was observed in Pulwama town today. Shops, business units and private establishments were closed while public traffic was off the roads. Only private vehicles were seen plying. And in North Kashmir's Bandipora district a headless body of one Muzaffar Ahmad Parray of Hajin was recovered from the river Jhelum in Hajin area by police. Police said that it has registered a case and started inquest proceedings. A shutdown was observed in Hajin after the body of the man was recovered.