September 2017 News

Clashes After Eid Prayers In Eidgah, Anantnag, Sopore

2 September 2017
Kashmir Times

Srinagar: Clashes occurred after Eid prayers between protestors and security forces at Eidgah here, Anantnag and Sopore. During the clashes, the protestors pelted stones on cops, who burst smoke shells and resorted to lathi charge. Separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik had asked the people to protest after Eid prayers against efforts to damage the special status of the state, implementation of GST, NIA raids and arrests and killings by security forces. Geelani continued under house arrest at his Hyderpora residence. Malik has been lodged in jail after his arrest recently. Mirwaiz was placed under house arrest at his Nigeen residence. He was scheduled to address the Eid congregration at Eidgah. Due to his house arrest, he addressed the congregation through telephone. Reports said that immediately after the prayers were over at the Eidgah here, a group of youth started pelting stones at forces. Forces' personnel used tear smoke shells to disperse the protestors. The clashes continued for some time. The people ran helter skelter. Violent clashes erupted between security forces and people in Anantnag township after the Eid prayers today. Witnesses said that soon after the Eid prayers concluded at Hanfia Eidgah and Ahliahadees Eidgah in Janglat Mandi and Ashajipora areas people mostly youth held protests. The protesters were chanting slogans. When the forces who were deployed in strength in the area tried to stop the protesters, youth who were part of the protest clashed with them by hurling stones and bricks triggering fierce clashes. The security forces, witnessess said, in order to drive away the stone throwing protesters resorted to use of force and burst tearsmoke shells, sound shells and even fired pellet ammunition . 'Many elder people including women suffered suffocation due to smoke inhalation,' said a local Gowhar Ahmad. During the clashes, at least four people suffered minor pellet injuries while one who was hit by pellets in his eye was shifted to SMHS Srinagar for advanced treatment. Clashes broke out between youth and security forces in Sopore town. As soon as the Eid prayers concluded at Markazi Jamia Masjid Sopore youth held protest demonstrations at main bazaar area of the town and tried to march towards the main chowk. Later, the protesters clashed with police and paramilitary forces deployed in strength at main chowk area.