September 2017 News

2 Militants Killed, Another Surrenders In Kulgam Encounter

11 September 2017
Rising Kashmir
Saima Bhat

Kulgam: The forces Monday killed two militants of Hizbul Mujahideen while another surrendered during an encounter in South Kashmir's Kulgam area. Officials said that a joint team of Kulgam police, 1 RR and 18 Bn of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) launched a cordon and search operation in Khudwani area of Kulgam district following specific information about the presence of some militants of HM outfit in the area. As soon as the forces laid a cordon, they asked the militants to lay down the arms. On the call of the forces one militant Arif Ahmad Sofi surrendered while two militants tried to escape from the spot and fired on the forces. The firing was retaliated and during the ensuing encounter both the militants were gunned down and their identity was revealed as Dawood Ahmad Allaie son of late Abdul Hamid Allaie resident of Hawoora and Sayar Ahmad Wani son of Ghulam Mohammad Wani resident of Wanpora, Qaimoh of Kulgam district. From the possession of slain militants, forces recovered 1 AK 47 rifle, 2 AK 47 magazines, 63 AK 47 rounds, 1 INSAS rifle, 1 INSAS magazine, 60 INSAS rounds, 1 pistol, 1 pistol magazine, 2 pistol rounds and 2 pouches. Police said that the slain militants were innvolved in many killing, but their family members told Rising Kashmir that they were forced to join militancy due to harrasement by police. A police official said that the militants were involved in killing of sarpanch of village Hawoora and weapon snatching from guard post Samnoo. 'Dawood Ahmad Allaie was also involved in instigating youth to pelt stones, firing incident on police station Yaripora and bank robbery at Arwani branch of J&K Bank. Besides, Sayar Ahmad Wani was also involved in threatening the families of police personnel,' said a police spokesman. Both the militants were killed as in brief encounter at Khudwaniwhen they were taking shelter in a local school Sulfia Institute late last night. Dawood joined the militancy on March 7 this when he was the student of BA second year at Boys Degree College Khanbal. He has spent four years in Central jail Srinagar and 48 days at Special Operation Group (SOG) camp, Aamnoo in Kulgam, in the case of killing of sarpanch. Dawood's family members said that the 48 day detention at SOG camp 'proved so harsh to him that ultimately he joined militancy.' Bashir Ahmad Alai, brother of slain militant, said Dawood qualified his 12 th class in Central Jail. He had keen interest in Islamic literature and maintained a library of islamic books. Their father had died after falling from a tree in 1998. Bashir said his brother was forced to pick up the arms as Indian forces kept on 'chasing and interrogating him.' ' Dawood had sustained ear injury, because of which he was not able to listen properly and his shoulder had also been fractured,' he said. He said that the slain militant was also given electric shocks. Because of his Islamic knowledge, Dawood was leading the prayers at local Masjid at Khudwani. 'Dawood was very helpful and was always ready to support his relatives and neighbors in their happiness and sorrow,' said one of Dawood's cousins. Sayar Ahmad Wani, 22, who was also killed, had joined militancy after the killing of Burhan Wani. Sayar was involved in weapon snatching during Ithad-e-Millat Conference (religious gathering) at Pinjura in Shopian. Youngest son of his aged parents, his sibilings include five sisters and four brothers. Hailing from a poor family, Sayar was however a good football player in his team and has also served as defender of District Football Association (DFA), Kulgam. 'Football was his passion', said a local boy of Khudwani.