November 2017 News

Cop Killed In Pulwama Militant Attack

4 November 2017
Kashmir Reader
Mohammad Suhail

Anantnag: A militant attack on Saturday afternoon on a police party in Rajpora village of Pulwama district left at least two policemen injured. Later, one among the injured policeman succumbed to injuries. Though there were reports that the policemen were fired at right outside the Rajpora police station, the police denied the reports saying the attack was carried out on a police party on patrol and not at the station. The injured policemen, constable Abdul Salam and Constable Muneer Ahmad, police said, were stable and being treated. In the evening, 40-year-old Abdul Salam of Karewa Manloo village in Shopian succumbed to injuries. The attack was carried out at about 4 pm Saturday afternoon, hours after an SOG camp was attacked in Imam Sahib area of neighbouring Shopian district. A police spokesperson maintained that a police party on naka duty in Rajpora was attacked by militants. 'A gun battle was triggered, leaving two policemen injured. The area has been cordoned off and searches are being carried out to nab the attackers,' the spokesperson said. He added that the reports that police station Rajpora was attacked were baseless. Local sources however maintained that the militants opened indiscriminate fire right outside the Rajpora police station, and some policemen standing outside the station gate came under the fire. Panic gripped the area as people ran for cover. Huge contingents of government forces soon reached the spot, and the whole area was cordoned off. The cordon remained intact while this report was being filed. Communication however was not established again with the militants. In Shopain militants lobbed a grenade at Special Operation Group (SOG) camp in at Imamsahib village of Shopian. The grenade exploded outside the camp without causing any damage. A local resident said that a bang of explosion was followed by gunshots. Later the area was cordoned off and searches were conducted to nab the attackers. Senior superintendent of police Shopian S A Dinkar told Kashmir Reader that around 2:45 pm, unidentified men attacked the post with grenade, however it did not cause any damage. 'Cordon and searches were carried out in the area however the attackers escaped,' he said.