November 2017 News

Thousands Attend Funeral Of Jaish Militant In Pulwama

7 November 2017
Kashmir Reader
Mohammad Suhail

Anantnag: Amid a complete shutdown in most parts of Pulwama district on Tuesday, thousands of people thronged to Drabgam village in Lassipora area to attend the funeral of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) militant Waseem Ganai. Waseem was killed Monday evening along with two other non-local militants of the JeM, in a gunfight with government forces in Aglar village of Pulwama. One of the Pakistani militants, police said, was the nephew of JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar. An army man was also killed during the gunfight. Two others, an army man and a civilian, were injured. The civilian, as per locals, was shot at by government forces when protests erupted in the area. Police say that the civilian was hit in cross-fire. Waseem's body was handed over to his family early Tuesday morning after medico-legal formalities. Despite an internet gag in Pulwama district, thousands of people started to make a beeline to Drabgam village soon after the news of Waseem's killing spread. 'Multiple rounds of funerals were held for Waseem before he was buried at his ancestral graveyard in the village,' a local source told Kashmir Reader. Several militants appeared at the funeral and offered multiple rounds of gun-salute. 'The militants fired while thousands of people raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans,' a local source told Kashmir Reader. Coming from a very humble background and the youngest among his siblings, Waseem picked up arms in August this year. He was listed as a Category-B militant in police records. A senior police official told Kashmir Reader that Waseem had no aliases. 'Not any we know of,' the official said. Police have alleged that the slain militants were involved in an attack on a police party in Rajpora area of Pulwama district earlier on Saturday. A policeman was killed and another was injured in the attack. Though a complete shutdown was observed in many parts of Pulwama, including in the main town, Rajpora, Kakapora, Lassipora and other areas, there was only one incident of stone-pelting reported. Sources said that some youths pelted stones at an army camp in Yaar area of Pulwama district early Tuesday morning. Nobody was injured during the stone-pelting. Internet services were restored in the district in the afternoon. Meanwhile, Jaish-e-Mohammad spokesperson Hassan Shah in a statement to GNS said that among the three killed militants was nephew of JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar. Another killed militant was the Jaish's divisional commander. Shah identified Masood Azhar's nephew as commander Talha Rasheed. He said two other militants killed in the encounter include Divisional Commander Muhammad Bhai, a non-local, and Waseem, a resident of Drubgam Pulwama. The Jaish spokesman while paying tributes to the slain militants said that their sacrifices won't go waste.'One day, forces have to leave Kashmir,' he said. Hizb, LeT pay tributes Hizbul Mujhadeen and Lashkar-e-Toiba on Tuesday paid rich tributes to the slain Jaish militants. In a statement to CNS, the Hizb chief Syed Salahuddin said that the flowing blood in Kashmir from past seven decades will show its color one day. He said the sun of freedom will set in and the sacred blood of the martyrs will not go waste. Mahmood Shah, the LeT Chief said that the freedom fighters will win their freedom with their very own blood. 'Allah has promised glad tidings for such sacrifices. We are in a firm belief that Allah will soon bless us with the freedom,' he said. The statement issued to CNS said said that the sacrifices put forth by the youth will not go in vain, but will promise the freedom of Jammu Kashmir. 'The freedom fighters have always won over their vicious tactics and they are very well aware of this fact.The martyrdom is a key factor in winning our freedom,' he said.