March 2018 News

LeT Militant Killed, Woman Injured In Budgam Gunfight

25 March 2018
Rising Kashmir

Srinagar: A militant was killed and a teenage girl injured in a gunfight between forces and militants at Arizal in Central Kashmir's Budgam district on Sunday. According to officials the personnel of special operations group (SOG) of police, army's 53 RR and paramilitary CRPF troops launched a cordon and search operation in Khan Mohalla, Arizal, following a 'specific' input about the presence of militants in the area. 'During search militants tried to flee and came out of the house and fired indiscriminately on forces. In retaliation one militant was killed,' a police spokesman said. The slain militant was identified as Shafat Hussain Wani son of Mohd Akbar Wani of Wagoora Baramulla. He was affiliated with Lashkar-e-Toiba since April 2017, police spokesman said. He added that arms and ammunition, some incriminating materials, mobile phones, and cash worth Rs 30000 was recovered from the site of gunfight. 'Police has started an investigation in the instant case.' According to a local resident they heard gunshots around 1:30 am and the exchange lasted for not more than 20 to 30 minutes. 'The gunfight probably took place in an open field,' said a local resident. There was no damage to public property caused by firefight. However, police said, a local a girl sustained injuries in the gunfight. 'In the incident, one lady received an injury in thigh while the hiding militant, who was trying to escape, fired indiscriminately,' police said. The injured girl was identified as 18-year-old Humaria daughter of Mohammad Maqbool Khan of Arizal. Humaira was quickly evacuated to sub-district hospital Khansahib for treatment. However from Khansahib, she was referred to Bone and Joint hospital Srinagar for specialised treatment and her condition was said to be stable. Meanwhile, the body of Shafat was handed over to his relatives by police for last rites. Police is investigating the attacks in which the militant ' may have been involved.' On how long he had been active in Budgam or had moved to the area before he was killed in the encounter, Superintendent of police Budgam, Tejinder Sigh said that it was a matter of investigation. 'It is a matter which is being investigated,' Singh told Rising Kashmir.