July 2018 News

Strike Disrupts Normal Life In Kashmir On Death Anniversary Of Burhan Wani

8 July 2018
The Hindustan Times
Ravi Krishnan Khajuria

Jammu: Normal life was disrupted in Kashmir in response to a strike called by separatists to mark the second death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani while authorities imposed restrictions in parts of the Valley. Clashes between the security forces and groups of youths trying to defy the official restrictions occurred at some places in Tral area, the ancestral town of Wani, who was killed in an encounter in Kokernag area of Anantnag district on July 8, 2016. Security forces used tear smoke shells to chase away the protesting youths at some places in south Kashmir areas. The Amarnath pilgrimage was also suspended for a day following the call for a shutdown. 'In view of law and order situation in south Kashmir where three civilians died in clashes with security forces on Saturday and militant Burhan Wani's death anniversary, no fresh batch of pilgrims was allowed from Yatri Niwas base camp in Jammu on Sunday,' said an official at the Niwas control room. Only pilgrims already in Baltal and Pahalgam will be allowed to move towards the cave shrine. Mobile internet services were suspended throughout Kashmir as a precautionary measure, while security forces were deployed in strength at sensitive places across the Valley to avoid any untoward incident. Restrictions have been imposed in five police station areas of Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal and Maharajgunj of Srinagar's old city areas. The official said restrictions were imposed in Pulwama and Tral townships of Pulwama district in south Kashmir as well as precautionary measures to maintain law and order. Separatists had given a call for a strike on Sunday across Kashmir on the second death anniversary of the Hizbul commander. Wani's killing had triggered massive violent protests that left nearly 100 dead and countless more blinded by pellet fire. Separatists under the banner of Joint Resistance Leadership asked people to observe Sunday as a black day following the killing of three youth, including a girl, in firing by security forces. The police said public transport was off the roads, while a few private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying in some parts of Srinagar. Senior separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were placed under house arrest while Muhammad Yasin Malik was taken into preventive custody in Srinagar on Friday and remains in custody.