August 2018 News

Man Killed At Farooq Abdullah's Jammu Residence Laid To Rest Amid Protests

5 August 2018
Greater Kashmir
Yogesh Sagotra

Jammu: The body of a man shot dead by the security guards posted at the residence of former chief minister and National Conference president Farooq Abdullah was laid to rest here on Sunday amid massive protests. Hundreds of protesters, carrying the body of Syeed Murfad Shah (26), blocked the Jammu-Bantalab road near his Chinore residence for several hours today. The protesters, rejected magisterial probe ordered by district magistrate, Jammu and demanded transfer of the case to the Crime Branch for a thorough probe. The protesters also demanded release of CCTV footage of former Chief Minister's residence and other vital locations. They also demanded that an FIR be registered against the security personnel. According to police statement, the deceased had rammed his car into the front gate of the residence of Farooq Abdullah at Bhatindi on the outskirts of Jammu yesterday, and vandalised the house before being shot dead by the CRPF personnel guarding the premises. Meanwhile, sub-divisional magistrate, Jammu North, Mohammad Alyas Khan, who was appointed as the inquiry officer in the case, tried to pacify the protesters. Addressing the aggrieved family members, Khan assured that 'fair and transparent' probe would be conducted in a time-bound manner. However, he failed to pacify the protesters. The people stick on their demand for Crime Branch probe. Addition deputy commissioner (Law & Order) Jammu, Arun Manhas rushed to the spot to meet the agitating family members of Murfad. He assured the accused that whosoever will be found guilty shall be punished after the probe panel submits its report. 'We want justice for the man who was killed in mysterious circumstances. They are claiming that he crashed his vehicle with the gate before entering the highly guarded residence... Neither the gate nor the vehicle had suffered any damage,' one of the mourners said. Later, 'Nimaz-e-Jinazah' (prayer before the burial) was offered and the deceased was laid to rest at a local graveyard. Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party patron and Executive Chairman of State Legal Aid Committee Bhim Singh urged Governor N N Vohra to institute a high power judicial inquiry by a sitting judge of the high court. 'The state Legal Aid Committee has collected evidence and felt that Shah was killed without any cause or reason,' Singh said in a statement here. 'This is also admitted that the deceased had no weapon or anything in his hand or in the car. The facts lead to the conclusion that it was a pre-planned murder,' he added. Singh said the committee would move the Supreme Court if the governor failed to hold an independent inquiry into the incident.