October 2018 News

6 Militants, Soldier Killed In Gun Battles

25 October 2018
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Six militants were killed in two separate gun battles in Kashmir today while a soldier was killed and another injured in an attack on an Army camp in Tral area of South Kashmir. Four militants were killed in a gunfight at Kharpora area of Arwani in South Kashmir's Anantnag district this evening. A joint team of Army and SOG launched a joint cordon-and-search operation in Kharpora area on a specific information about the presence of militants in the village. The gunfight raged as soon as the security forces fired some warning shots towards the house where militants were hiding. Click here to watch video Four militants were killed in the gunfight. The identity and the group affiliation of the slain militants are being ascertained. Sources said that they have been identified as Sayar Ahmad alias Abu Bakar of Arwani, Owais Ahmad alias Khitab of Arwani, Raja alias Hamas of Harwoora Kulgam and Mohammad Rizwan of Watoo Kulgam. A police spokesman said here that four dead bodies of militants were recovered from the encounter site besides arms and ammunition. Two militants were killed in a gunfight at Athoora area of Kreeri in North Kashmir's Baramulla district today. A joint team of Army's 52 RR, SOG and CRPF launched a cordon-and-search operation at Athoora area this morning. Two militants were killed in the encounter and their bodies recovered along with two weapons. They have been identified as Aqeel and Suhaib Akhoon of Khanpora, Baramulla. As the news about the encounter spread, the youth took to streets and clashed with security forces at Athoora and its adjoining areas. A police spokesman said that security forces launched a cordon and search operation based on credible inputs about the presence of the militants at Authoora village of Kreeri. 'As the search operation was going on, police while making all efforts to motivate the hiding (militants) to surrender provided them with several opportunities to come out. However, the militants refused and instead fired from inside on the search party, which was retaliated, leading to an encounter, 'the spokesman said. He said incriminating materials including arms and ammunition were recovered from the site of encounter. Police have registered a case in this regard and investigation has been initiated, he said. 'Citizens are once again requested not to venture inside the site of encounter since such an area can prove dangerous due to stray explosive materials. People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials if any,' the spokesman said. Militants tonight attacked Army camp in Tral in South Kashmir killing a soldier and injuring another. Militants indiscriminately fired upon Army camp of 42 Rashtriya Rifles at Lurgam Tral. Two Army jawans injured in the attack. The Army personnel retaliated but the militants fled away. The areas have been cordoned off and searches are being conducted against the assailants. The army personnel were shifted to 92-Base Hospital in Badami Bagh Cantonment in Srinagar. One of the soldiers, however, succumbed to injuries. Police and security forces today arrested an Over Ground Worker (OGW) worker of Hizbul Mujahideen and recovered arms and ammunition from his possession. Police and security forces apprehended an OGW affiliated with Hizbul Mujahideen, Mohammad Shafi Magray, son of Abdul Gaffar resident of Kandi at a checkpoint established near HP Gas Godown in Drugmulla area of district Kupwara and recovered arms and ammunition from his possession. Police has registered a case FIR No. 306-2018 under relevant Sections of law and investigation has been initiated. And life across Kashmir remained paralyzed today due to a shutdown called by separatist against the killing of two Hizbul Mujahideen militants in an encounter with security forces today. Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed here while the public transport was off the roads in response to the shutdown called by separatists against the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Sabzaar Ahmad Sofi and his associate Asif Shergojri in an encounter in Nowgam area of Srinagar on Wednesday. Hundreds of paramilitary personnel and policemen in riot gear maintained strict vigil around the volatile places of downtown, including Nowhatta, Gojwara, Saraf Kadal, Kawdara and Rajouri Kadal. However, despite heightened security, groups of youth hit streets at Soura Rambagh, Chattabal, Bagh-e-Mehtab, Nowgam and other places and staged protests. The protesters pelted stones on the security forces who fired teargas to disperse the youth. Clashes between protesters and security forces were also reported from Khwaja Bagh, Kreeri and Ladura area of Sopore in north Kashmir's Baramulla district. The CRPF men and police were deployed in strength in four districts of Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and Anantnag to prevent people from holding protests even as all commercial establishments remained closed in South Kashmir. Due to the shutdown, train service between Srinagar to Banihal and Srinagar to Baramulla was suspended today amid apprehensions of protests against the fresh killing spree.