May 2019 News

Restrictions On Srinagar-Baramulla Civilian Traffic Withdrawn

1 May 2019
Greater Kashmir


Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Wednesday announced complete withdrawal of restrictions on civilian traffic movement between Srinagar and Baramulla. The restrictions were put in place last month to facilitate movement of security forces' convoys on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway (NH-44). 'There will be no restriction on movement of civilian traffic from tomorrow (May2). The civilian traffic movement had been restricted on Wednesday and Sunday to allow movement of security forces' convoy,' an official spokesman said. However, he said the restrictions would continue between Srinagar and Udhampur on NH-44 as earlier. The spokesman said, 'Local administration will continue to facilitate movement of civilian traffic as has been happening so far, including by allowing public transport of JKSRTC to move during the period of restriction on the National Highway from Udhampur to Srinagar on convoy days (Sunday and Wednesday).' He said that complete review of restrictions on the NH-44 would be done subsequently. It may be recalled that several politicians, including National Conference president Farooq Abdullah and his son Omar Abdullah, and PDP patron Mehbooba Mufti, had staged protests against the state government for imposing the restriction. The state administration had imposed restriction on civilian traffic movement after the 14 February Pulwama attack in which 40 paramilitary CRPF men lost their lives when an explosive laden vehicle hit a bus in their convoy. The government had ordered that no civilian traffic would be there on Wednesday and Sunday of every week between 4 am to 5 pm. However, the restriction between Srinagar and Baramulla was limited to only Sunday from 22 April, 2019. The state administration spokesman said the government is monitoring the convoy needs of security forces on real-time basis and making all attempts to minimise public inconvenience. He said as indicated earlier, the government is aware of the needs of citizens and will seek to balance public convenience with requirements of security forces' convoys. 'The government has once again reviewed the requirement of security forces. Following the successful conduct of elections in Kulgam and Anantnag districts and as the requirement of security forces is now reducing as they are de-inducted,' he said. The government stated that the purpose of these restrictions is in the larger interest of security of everyone and appealed to the people to extend full cooperation in the smooth regulation of traffic.

Line