April 2020 News

Shopian Gunfight: 3 Militants Killed; Army Major, 3 Civilians Injured

29 April 2020
Kashmir Observer

Srinagar: An army major was injured on the second day of encounter with militants at Melhoora village in Shopian district of south Kashmir on Wednesday morning. Official sources said three militants have been killed while as two soldiers including an officer and several civilians were injured during the course of operation encounter at Melhoora village of Zainapora area of South Kashmir's Shopian district. The operation was decalred over this morning, they said. The Mehloora gunfight started yesterday and all three militant bodies have been recovered. Pertinently, four militants had been killed in an encounter with the army in the same village last week. Earlier, officials said that on specific inputs about the presence of militants, a cordon and search pperation (CASO) was launched in the area by joint team of forces including 55 RR and Shopian Police. During the searches, the trapped militants fired upon the advancing soldiers triggering an encounter, they said. Early today when forces were searching for third militant body at the gunfight site, the militant hiding under debris fired upon the troops. In this incident an army major was injured. He was identified as Major Capray of 55RR. He was subsequently shifted to army hospital. Yesterday two civilians were also injured near the gunfight site and one of them, a woman, was hit with a bullet in her leg. Also an army soldier suffered bullet wounds in the operation. Two militants were killed during the initial exchange of fire. Two civilians sustained injures near the site. Among them, a woman Shahnaza Bano wife of Farooq Ahmad Koka suffered bullet injury and was shifted to a nearby hospital wherefrom she was referred to SMHS hospital Srinagar. Another civilian Asif Ahmad Reshi son of Nissar Reshi of Watchi according to reports suffered pellet wounds after police and paramilitary forces chased a group of youth near the encounter site. All the injured have been moved to different hospitals. Police said that the operation stretched throughout the night and lights were erected and exit points sealed with additional reinforcements. Meanwhile, security forces are sanitizing the area and have appealed the people not to go closer to the encounter spot till the site is properly sanitized.